Author Topic: Not a plank of Teak  (Read 4006 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Not a plank of Teak
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 06:27:52 PM »
that's ekki bryan. also known as azobe botanically known as Lophira alata.

cheap as chips wood mate.

nice stuff if you can get it with no cracks in.

https://www.wood-database.com/ekki/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 07:14:37 PM »
Thank you everybody.

I'm going with Steve's identification of Ekki.

Although I'm still wondering what to do with it, any ideas always welcome.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »
i made this from ekki.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
I agree with Steve's id, got a lump at home. Personally I do not find it that attractive so if it were mine I would put it to one side and use for things like knobs on jigs etc.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
slightly off subject perhaps but I have been told that the timber used here on the Broads for jettys etc was brought in as ballast on returning ships. That's probably why so many species are turning up with only their great weight in common.
Brian

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
you are correct.

logs went to the bottom of the boat as they were usually the heaviest. the lighter cargo went on top to keep the boat stable.

we used to export all over the world when we had an empire and ruled the waves during the victorian era and it was no use bringing back empty vessels which could actually capsize because they were empty so heavy timbers (and other species) were often brought on the return journey.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »
There are often stocks of these heavier woods to be found in some of the old ports as they used to be used a lot for the fenders on the jettys. Stack of lignum vitae at Falmouth for example. Can't access it though sadly.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
Memories.........
Several yonks ago I made a batch of 'goodies' from a plank of 'Jettywood' for sale in a riverside gift shop. The owner told me later that she had spent several weeks seeking the source of a slight but persistant stink that permanently filled the shop. She only discovered the culprit as she was wrapping the largest of my pieces for its new owner. By then most of the pieces had been sold so I still break out in a cold sweat when I think how many holiday suitcases full of smelly clothes were discovered after return home.

If you need to risk this kind of fun such planks can be found on the banks of Breydon Water, inland of Great Yarmouth. FOR FREE!!!!

Another thought......
If your 'Pierwood' has been in salt water for a century or more wont it be full of salt and always remain wet from attracting moisture from the air. I think there's a fancy name for this aquaphobic, or something?

Brian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
...I think there's a fancy name for this aquaphobic, or something?

Brian

Hygroscopic..."aquaphobic" would be the fear of water....I am aquaphobic when it comes to a good malt whisky. Nothing should ever be added to whisky, save more whisky!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline col

• iron
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
I would say that is definitely jarrah , hard as nails and heavy,  color darkens quickly after machining.
Hope this helps
Col
Life is like a xxxx sandwich the more bread you've got the less xxxx you have to eat.