Author Topic: Chunky peanut bowl  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Maccy

• iron
Chunky peanut bowl
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »
Beginner.

Small bowl for peanuts
From mystery blank (label fell off  ???)
I liked the wood so wanted a chunky shape

Turn with just a faceplate  with glued on ply before separating as chuck still on back order.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Chunky peanut bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
Hi Maccy...that looks like a piece of Padauk to me. You've done an excellent job in working the timber....no tear out, no tool marks and a good finish. The shape's not to my liking, but if it's what you want then who am I to comment!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »
definitely padauk and nicely done too.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
I don't like it, it's too small, I wouldn't get enough peanuts in it!

But I agree otherwise, a well turned and finished bowl, especially for Padauk.

I'll suggest what you are probably doing without thinking about it. Keep some of these early turnings, we all have one or two ourselves. You can look back at them every few years and see how you've improved in your design or finish etc..
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Maccy

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:46:14 PM »
Thanks for all your comments and identifying the wood. I will definatley buy this again i love the colour.

I am really happy with how this turned out.

Good enough for a fathers day present.  :)

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »
G'day Maccy
I concur with the above comments, well turned and finished. Well done for someone at the start of their wood turning journey. I am only a little further down that road than you and following advice from folk on this forum purchased a couple of books. (By the way where is GBF?)
The first book by Richard Raffan ( The Art of Turned Bowls) and then Mark Sanger (Turning Hollow Forms). I feel that my turning really started improving based on what I learned from these authors. Both authors went into some detail on the shape and form of turned works. This to me is key to producing good work. Anyone can start with a nice piece pf wood, and get a good finish with enough sandpaper, but producing something that has all this and an appealing shape is what sets beautiful work apart from the crowd. While there is an element of personal taste in this, the basics nearly always apply. Both books are good and if I had to pick one I would probably go for Mark Sanger.
Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
Well done so far.
Now you need to concentrate on form.
Woodturners are often guilty of favouring finish over form. Ceramicists pour great scorn on us.
Look at classical shapes. They are 'classical' for a good reason - they are aesthetically pleasing. A good start is ceramic vases and bowls for shapes. There are lots of pictures on the web.
For spindle work look at articles and books to understand the combinations of shapes that work - again classical patterns are the best starting point.
You can produce a good finish as you have shown. next step is concentrate on shape and try to make sure you finish with the shape you had planned.
Good luck Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Maccy

• iron
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

Tony ive ordered the art of turning bowls so thanks for the recommendation.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »
Maccy for a beginner I think you have done very well, nice finish.I would suggest when turning something like this that you crisp up the detail, in this case the bottom of the vee cut, by just touching with a point tool or similar.
Be careful with the dust from Padauk.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:13 PM »
Maccy, it's also well worth going back through the last 20 or 30 pages of this gallery and look at the various works, see what appeals to you and noting the comments. There are a number of stunning pieces there.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)