Author Topic: Importing a 110V lathe from US  (Read 2583 times)

Offline natti

• iron
Importing a 110V lathe from US
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »
Hello woodturners,
I'm new to this hobby and looking to buy my first lathe.
I have an opportunity now to buy and bring a lathe from the US - the prices there are amazing, and transporting it will be free.
The model i'm interested in is the Delta 46-460, it's a strong (1HP) Midi lathe with generous swing over the bed (12.5"), costs $650.

The problem is of course - the Current, the lath is originally wired for the US electricity network - 11V/60Hz

Does anyone know if there's a way to operate such a device with European 220V/50HZ?
I know that a step-down converter is needed, but what a about the current frequency?

thanks!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Importing a 110V lathe from US
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
Frequency change from 60Hz to 50Hz primarily means that it will run approx. 20% slower, that's all. And you lose some horsepower.
Now, out of plain curiosity: how have you managed to arrange transport for free? And have though about import duties and the likes?

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a way to operate such a device with European 220V/50HZ?
I know that a step-down converter is needed, but what a about the current frequency?
You'll need to know a little more about how the variable speed circuitry works. You could try emailing Delta direct to find out. Different supply frequencies might play well with the electronics.

Whilst you say you could get the lathe shipped free, what happens if you have a problem with it ? warranty might be void if used on the wrong electricity supply, plus a look through the reviews on Amazon suggests QA might not be great. Shipping back and forth just once would probably wipe any saving out.

Often the headline price of US kit looks attractive, but add the cost of a voltage converter, VAT, duty, low secondhand value and the risks of costs if anything is wrong with it and the proposition looks far less rosy.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
there are plenty of lathes over here which will do the same job in my opinion and they are already suited for the UK leccy system.

use the free transport you have and bring over some unusual timbers that are so sought over this side of the pond but plentiful in the states like box elder or texas ebony...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »
The delta is not that much different from many available midi lathes you can buy over here.

The motor is a bolt on and can be removed and changed for one that is happy to run on UK voltage, but by the time you do that, it might well be cheaper to have bought one from the UK anyway.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline natti

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:28:40 AM »
thanks for the answers, indeed there are a lot of risks carrying out this plan..
For those of you asking about the delivery - it's a friend of mine immigrating from the states and brings back his whole house packed in a container.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
For those of you asking about the delivery - it's a friend of mine immigrating from the states and brings back his whole house packed in a container.
So just a one off opportunity then. In that case take the warning about QA issues and impossibility of getting any warranty repairs seriously.

As you're a novice I'd say forget the idea. You could buy something new in this country for a not dissimilar price overall, or something much better secondhand. In a couple of years you will either find your interest waning or you'll want to upgrade, in both cases a US standard lathe won't be easily sale-able and you'll loose any saving you've made now.

There are a few good priced items that have much less risk that you could import, ie anything NOT electric, but even hand tools might not save you very much if you're prepared to look at the copious supply of s/h kit here.

Join a club and get some advice, you might also get to pick up some better bargains that way too.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
thanks for the answers, indeed there are a lot of risks carrying out this plan..

that's definitely an opportunity to put some hard to get timbers in there then. osage orange, texas ebony,  katalox,  figured maple, black walnut, sweetgum, redbud, mimosa and other local species of trees that are not exported would all be easily sold over here.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:42:49 AM by seventhdevil »

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Steve, great idea! Load the container with a variety of species and get some Texas Ebony from Wendy Nave.  Natti wil immediately have numerous "new best friends" if he does that.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
l species of trees that are not exported would all be easily sold over here.
Is this starting to become an importing business, rather than starting to turn on the cheap ?

The OP hasn't even got a lathe yet and may have little of the knowledge needed to use or sell rare exotic wood.

Offline natti

• iron
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
thanks again guys for sharing your wisdom :)

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
l species of trees that are not exported would all be easily sold over here.
Is this starting to become an importing business, rather than starting to turn on the cheap ?

The OP hasn't even got a lathe yet and may have little of the knowledge needed to use or sell rare exotic wood.

it's just an idea. no one has to listen to me. anyway you don't need knowledge to sell timber, if you did i'd be screwed...