Author Topic: More blackwood  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
More blackwood
« on: May 08, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
Blackwood vase turned from an long dead tree as can be seen from the grub holes, termite gallery and cracks. The extra dark colouring appears to be associated with the start of the rotting process although the timber is still solid, in fact hard as a goats forehead. Vase is 170 mm high, 150 diam, finished with Rustins Danish Oil and buffed with eee a week later.
Comments and criticism welcome.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: More blackwood
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:05:28 AM »
Very nice Tony, lovely timber too.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
Very nice Tony, lovely timber too.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that it is a beautiful piece of wood and I particularly appreciate comments relating to the form of the turning. It can be a beautiful piece of timber with good form or something a little less.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
With wood like this you need to keep the form simple and that is not as easy as it sounds as any defects are shown up. Looks like you managed OK though. The wood does all the talking which is as it should be with this IMHO.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply Pete, I appreciate the comments. It nice to know you think I am on the right track.

Tony

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »
There's a lovely flow to the lines of this bowl and the plain neck suits it very well. As Pete says, keeping it simple pays dividends with wood as appealing as this.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
There is some stunning grain in this piece of timber. I do like it when someone bothers to rescue something that really should be discarded, make it work and gives it a new life.

Or are you just showing off and making us jealous of your stunning antipodean timbers,

Either way, great work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 12:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the comments Les. I'm still experimenting with shape and form and appreciate the feedback. AS long as I can get the basics right the timber does the rest.

Thanks Dragonfly. If a piece of wood doesn't have knots, cracks, bug holes and a little rot in it then I'll burn it. I love this type of wood. We also have plain woods on OZ but they don't get much of a look in while this blackwood is available.

Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:02:51 AM »
Beautiful wood and workmanship Tony

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
We also have plain woods on OZ but they don't get much of a look in while this blackwood is available.

I can see why.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments Ed.