Author Topic: CL4 and VSLK replacement units  (Read 171 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
CL4 and VSLK replacement units
« on: May 01, 2024, 04:26:16 PM »
I always knew my Record CL4 was a Friday afternoon job! I had problems right from the start with fittings then 4 years ago just within the 5 year guarantee period the drive shaft sheared off therefore needing a new VSLK speed unit. Now that is playing up and RP now tell me there was no extra guarantee time on that  so suggest a new VSLK unit at £400+. Any suggestions welcome.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: CL4 and VSLK replacement units
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 07:17:27 PM »
Not any help really but there is a complete CL4 with VLSK on Ebay currently listed at £550 and no one has bid on it. As RP are unwilling to guarantee the replacement from 4 years ago if you want to stay with the CL4 it may be a better bet (could have been a Tuesday morning job!) If you are looking to change the £400+ is a fair chunk of change towards a replacement.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 11:29:36 AM »
You don’t say specifically what is wrong with the VSLK. Sometimes taking the cover off of these control units and carefully cleaning the inside can help. If the problem is related to the potentiometer then these are often not too difficult to replace. There may be other easily replaced components inside the unit as well if you know someone who’s handy with a soldering iron?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »
If it is a speed related issue, have a look at this thread.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/record-variable-speed.102939/

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 12:16:03 PM »
Thanks. Im going to open up the VSLK unit and have a look and possible clean out!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 05:41:35 PM »
Having seen other folks issues with variable speed controls I was very surprised at the amount of dust that can sometimes get into these units. It’s not uncommon though judging by one of the comments in the link I posted earlier. Do let us know how you get on.

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 11:06:50 PM »
     Both my lathes have vfd  (one used professionally (General 260 ) for 20 yrs and my Graduate used lightly for 20 )  have been reliable. The Graduate I put a Haydock system on which is in a sealed can on the wall  in a damp garage .I wonder if sealing the electronics in a can off the lathe has helped . 

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 10:34:09 AM »
Many lathes, including good quality ones, are fitted with inverters that have little or no protection against dust.
Typically, the protection will be to IP20, but it should be more like IP66.
Many inverter manuals state that their IP20 inverters should be mounted within a dust-proof cabinet in dirty environments but then supply to manufacturers that ignore this recommendation.
Haydock supply their retrofit control packages in proper steel cabinets but lathe manufacturers usually don't!

This is all to do with money as illustrated by the Invertek Optidrive E3 range of inverters: https://www.motorcontrolwarehouse.co.uk/invertek-optidrive-inverter.html?kw_rating=40&voltage_input=17
The IP66 version of a 1.5kW inverter adds about £60 to the price of the IP20 equivalent. So, for less than £100 saving you will usually get a "not fit for purpose" inverter setup on a multi-thousand pound lathe. Funny old world isn't it?

The miracle is that these unprotected devices work as reliably as they do.
If I'm concerned about dust ingress, I vacuum around the inverter vents regularly and sometimes put some filter material over the vents, also vacuumed regularly. Possibly unnecessary, but gives me peace of mind and should help extend the life of the inverter.

Duncan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 08:06:50 PM »
My Axminster AT1416VS has an Inverter which is protected by a steel enclosure that has large openings at the top, bottom and front! The top opening is mostly filled with the fins of a large heat sink so not easily sealed. Maybe the inverter itself has better than expected dust protection? Many of these lathes seem to have been sold over the years but I’m not aware of any issues with the inverter? Due to its compact size and good 14” bowl capacity they have been popular with demonstrators and have I’m sure been put through their paces.

Edit: This is the inverter of the current version of my lathe.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 08:10:15 PM by Bill21 »