Author Topic: Wood ID?  (Read 2177 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Wood ID?
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
Not even sure where this piece came from, think it was from a retired turner last year but found it when sorting out my worshop. It is hard, brittle and shaves off as dust more than shavings. It looks as if it is an import that is under restriction as it has tenones on each end as with ebony. Hope someone knows what it is.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Wood ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
I reckon this is black palm, which means it could either be from Queensland in Australia (Normanbya normanbyi) or Panama (Astrocaryum standleyanum).

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:29:39 PM »
Sounds suitable, definitely not 'woody' any way. Thanks Fuzzy.

Pete

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »
I agree with Fuzzy....the colour of black palm (Black Palmira) varies quite a bit and can sometimes be as pale as this. The open pores look right and description sounds spot on. Essentially, it ain't wood, but is more closely related to grass.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:09:01 PM »
I reckon this is black palm, which means it could either be from Queensland in Australia (Normanbya normanbyi) or Panama (Astrocaryum standleyanum).

so far as i know neither of these species is harvested for palm wood as they are usually used for dates i think???

the species of black palm in turning blanks would most likely be borassus flabellifer.
http://www.wood-database.com/black-palm/

it could also be red palm cocos nucifera.
http://www.wood-database.com/red-palm/

a quick look at the endgrain of your blank will easily give you the answer as they are quite different.

i've turned only one bit of black palm as a bowl blank and boy is it tough on the edge of the tool...

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:38:18 PM »
Thanks guys. Looks like we agree it's a palm and yes Steve it is going to be hard on the tools if the little bit I turned to expose it is anything to go by. I'll have a look at the end grain tomorrow and see if I can get a photo of it.

Pete