Author Topic: Workshop air filtereration  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Redtails3

• copper
Workshop air filtereration
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Hi
 Has any body views on air quality in there working envoiroment ?
What are the chaff and what are the wheat of air filters?
What would you be looking to filter down to one micron or less?

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: Workshop air filtereration
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
Firstly your respiratory system is for breathing not filtering therefore workshop air quality is of the utmost importance.
I have a Jet AFS 500 which runs as soon as I enter my workshop, this filters down to 1 micron for a large percentage of dust.  In addition, I wear a Trend Airshield (have just upgraded to the Air Shield Pro) and use a CamVac when sanding.
I find the filter screen on the AFS 500 needs regular vacuuming so it is obviously catching a lot of the airborne particles and continues running for an hour after I leave the workshop.
I can’t comment on other systems but am happy with what I have at present.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline ericroy

• iron
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
I also use the Jet AFS500 for general air cleaning. It is mounted on the ceiling in the centre of my (garage) workshop. My sinuses have improved significantly since obtaining and using it.

I also have mobile extractors to connect up to saws, planers and sander. For anything dusty on the lathe I usually put one of the extractor hoses nearby and wear a face mask. My budget has not so far stretched to one of the forced air masks - but I imagine that they are more effective than my passive mask.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:36:20 PM by ericroy »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »
Yes getting the workshop air as clean as possible is very important!

The Jet filter is a good place to start, these are quite when running and move a lot of air. (I have the larger unit installed).

If you have the space then a cyclone extractor system with pipe work run to each machine. (I use the Axminster trade unit with tube run to each machine)

Then wear a powdered respirator like the Trend Air Shield Pro

If you have not got the space or the money to set up like this, then just buy a good powder like the Trend Air Shield Pro and wear it from entering the workshop until leaving the workshop. and remember to vacuum out the filters.

Ed

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
Ed,
It looks like you are suffering from predictive text syndrome, not to worry as its inventor has died and his funnel is nest Monkey!  :D ;D :D
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:06 AM »
Ed,
It looks like you are suffering from predictive text syndrome, not to worry as its inventor has died and his funnel is nest Monkey!  :D ;D :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D