Author Topic: More pieces for stock  (Read 2601 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
More pieces for stock
« on: February 02, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
With a nod to Rude Osolnik. These stand 12" (305mm) tall and are finished in a hard, pure carnauba wax polish for easy maintenance and to make them suitable for handling. They have brass inserts for the candles.  Last year candle sticks and candle pillars sold well let's see how they do this year.

The 'oil lamp' is one of a series I have done using the funnels from old lamps. The base is made from a piece of cedar on which I have left a section of bark on one side as seen in the image. It has a metal insert that will take either a t light or a 1 1/2" (40mm) candle. The wooden base stands 6" (153mm) tall and with the glass funnel is a total of 15 1/2" (3395mm) tall

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: More pieces for stock
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
Not keen on very narrow base candlestick if they are going to be used rather than ornaments , eaisly knocked over

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:19:09 PM »
I see where you are coming from but they are actually quite stable Dennis. The tapers are designed to put weight towards the bottom.

Pete

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »

The design of the pair of candlesticks goes very well with us Pete..... A very nice bit of burr yew you have got there.
   Kind Regards Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:07:11 AM »
Very nice Pete , how does the candle fair on the cedar one for getting enough air to remain alight?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:33:37 AM »
Thank you George & Hughie. Not a problem with oithers I have made Hughie. This one is a little different in that the funnel becomes oval as it goes up so the candle seems closer to the inside of the glass. Probably be better with a short candle thinking about it.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »
I think the candle sticks should be quite stable, I'm sure somewhere I read a comment by Rude Osolnik that he made about 150,000 pairs of these over his life, he credits them being able to put his children through college.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:00:03 PM »
I think the candle sticks should be quite stable, I'm sure somewhere I read a comment by Rude Osolnik that he made about 150,000 pairs of these over his life, he credits them being able to put his children through college.

And every pair would no doubt be better than these LOL. Oh well, another 149,984 to go and counting.

Pete