Author Topic: What did they just say!  (Read 7999 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: What did they just say!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
"An onlooker, the other day, suggested to me that I might speed up my bowl finishing by using a power planer on the spinning lathe. I suggested he was mad! :)"
This just goes to show how ignorant (as in without knowledge) the general public are about woodturning. The bit about the lathe manufaturer and manual demonstrates just the same. I know people get fed up when others (like me) keep banging on about elfin safety but those of us that do are coming from a measured perspective. I had my accidents in my younger years when using wood working machinery, it was looked on as one of the hazards of the job, but when you think about it that is a ridiculous point of view. We had to be productive of course but nowhere in my contacts did it mention losing body parts. This is where the saying "work smarter not quicker" comes into its own. Make a jig or find a different method or use a different machine to do the work safely but don't risk losing fingers or worse for the sake of making a bit of wood round, it's not worth it.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
You must have made this up Les it is obviously a joke.

Regards George
I can assure all of you that this is NOT a joke. I know exactly the manufacturer/distributor, lathe and manual, as one of my students bought one about 4 years ago. I too was horrifiied at many of the instructions and diagrams, so wrote to the manufacturer. I never received any acknowledgement of my comments so gave up in despair. Having read more of this posts replies, I am pleased to see that Les HAS had a response. I just hope they will correct/update their manuals and, ideally, issue the revised version to earlier purchasers.
Sad to say they are not the only manufacturer/distributor that provide poor guidance on tool useage. I have attached an image from an American product. I think this is inviting a novice to have a very nasty experience as I would not recommend using a 'peel cut' to anyone who does not have quite a lot of experience using the skew.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
For those of a nervous disposition, look away now. Here's another technique from the manual.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:03 AM »
as most will know i am not the most health and safety conscious guy on this forum but that last technique is just nuts.

how did that pass even the american health and safety board???

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
For those of a nervous disposition, look away now. Here's another technique from the manual.
Is it no wonder that accidents happen?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
Les,

I'd like to congratulate you on the stand you took and your action in taking this up with the manufacturer,

now if we could only get YouTube to do something about some of the dangerous 'How To Woodturn' they have, it would be something.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »

Why is everyone shy of naming this Manufacturer ? ???

Regards John
John Smith

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 07:52:34 PM »

Regards John
Unfortunately modern society has got very litigious and none of us dare take the risk of being sued fpr libel, especially when they are numerous legal companies only too keen to take up and case where they think they can earn some money.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

• bronze
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »
Les,

I'd like to congratulate you on the stand you took and your action in taking this up with the manufacturer,

now if we could only get YouTube to do something about some of the dangerous 'How To Woodturn' they have, it would be something.
You can't blame the messenger (YouTube), blame the people that post bad/dangerous information.

It is easy to do something about them, as it is the responsibility of those who can identify dagnerous practises to make that known, in other words US, by leaving appropriate comments. But I guess most of us are not prepared to put our heads above the parapet.

It would be interesting to know how many people have actually done ths sort of thing, and weathered the storm of abuse that comes by doing so.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »

Regards John
Unfortunately modern society has got very litigious and none of us dare take the risk of being sued fpr libel, especially when they are numerous legal companies only too keen to take up and case where they think they can earn some money.

they cant sue me for money as i don't have any.

here is the manual...

https://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/wood_lathes/cwl1000.pdf

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »

You can't blame the messenger (YouTube), blame the people that post bad/dangerous information.

It is easy to do something about them, as it is the responsibility of those who can identify dagnerous practises to make that known, in other words US, by leaving appropriate comments. But I guess most of us are not prepared to put our heads above the parapet.

It would be interesting to know how many people have actually done this sort of thing, and weathered the storm of abuse that comes by doing so.

Eh, guilty and I think it's safe to say the posters don't like it when you point out their bad/gross/stupid errors. I have had a torrent of abuse from some posters of woodturning videos, or other people when I correct their 'Oh, aren't you a great turner' comments.

But I'm a Grumpy old man, ain't I!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »

Too Late, I've looked and cannot 'unsee' that awful image.

Offline Mayo Mick

• iron
    • View my site
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 10:40:02 PM »

Holy moly, I'm sorry now I looked at that  :o :o :o
Hobbies include woodturning, photography & following Mayo GAA. Hope to see Mayo win Sam sometime...

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Personally, I chose not to name the supplier because the OP chose not to, and had already stated that he was in contact with them. It seemed best to let the jaw-jaw approach continue without distraction.
Having said that, I rather doubt that the intended customer base would necessarily see posts such as this, so no need for lawyers to get involved.
I doubt also whether the instructions were written for just one supplier; I suspect they are based upon Chinese traditional woodcraft methods and shoehorned into any number of generic lathe instructions.
Duncan

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I doubt also whether the instructions were written for just one supplier; I suspect they are based upon Chinese traditional woodcraft methods and shoehorned into any number of generic lathe instructions.
Duncan

That is no excuse for badly written instructions someone has obviously translated these to be sent out to various countries. Then you would expect that they should also find out the H & S point of view before letting them be used in that country they are sending the machines to