Author Topic: Getting ready fo C*******s  (Read 2477 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Getting ready fo C*******s
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
Using up some offcuts and scrap pewter. Always looking to make low budget bread and butter items for shows, these will sell as indvidual pieces (paper weight, pen holder, paper clip tidy) or as gift sets in the box as here. Cheap materials, quick and easy to make and so lower costs make them good sellers. The pewter has been textured though doesn't show too well in the photo. C&C welcome as always

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Getting ready fo C*******s
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »
I like the idea but a bit difficult to get the full effect of the set from the angle of the photo, do you have any others from a different angle and out of the box.

Did you not think about turning a pen from the same wood and adding pewter accents to it.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
I have never turned pens and when we display at shows will probably use a quill as in the box for the effect. This was just a quick snapshot to show something a bit dofferent but I'll see about getting a different shot out of the box for you later.

Pete

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
Never been a fan of itsy bitsy teeny weeny bits and bobs but if that is what sells you keep it up Pete :D :D :D

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
Not my favourite things to make eother George but out of a pile of odds and ends and old pewter mugs I can make a lot of sales later in the year at the Christmas shows. I got a load of rolling pins on offer last year and made about 200 gift tags from them. At £1,50 each, it makes for better presents for the family. It's great selling the more artistic pieces at bigger prices and they are more fun to make but at the end of the day I have to make what people want if I am going to pay the bills. I try and do things that you don't normally see at other turners displays as we find they don't sell well. 

Pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:07:44 PM »
I wouldn't class the items in the picture as low budget items.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
I like the idea but a bit difficult to get the full effect of the set from the angle of the photo, do you have any others from a different angle and out of the box.

Here ya go.

Pete

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
Hi Pete,
I find at shows/craft fairs it's the small items (such as bottle stoppers and bud vases) that  sell quickly and pay for the enterance fee. Large bowls etc are more harder to sell but are very pleasing when done so.

Ken

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
We only do the larger shows, mostly later in the year but like you we usually make most of our money from the items under £100. Having said that we did a folk festival a few weeks ago and were selling artistic pieces at higher cost as well. So far this year takings have been surprisingly up on last year. No accounting for what wil happen.

pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »

Here ya go.

Pete

Thank you Pete looks better from that angle and you can see the texture better ;).

Like you I find that the smaller stuff goes quicker and most times anything under 8" to 9" as that is what space people have on the narrow shelves in units.
The little bird houses which are from the corners of when I prepare some of my blanks are quick to go.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
Pete,

a clever concept and different use for pewter, very simple and very effective to look at.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!