Author Topic: Jacobs chuck  (Read 2765 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Jacobs chuck
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
My old jacobs chuck finally gave up the ghost today. Considering it cost me 7/6d brand new I suppose I can't moan about getting my money's worth, but it has been a good chuck, comfortable and easy to use and apart from the 2 sets of new jaws it is the same chuck that I started out with all those years ago.
Imagine the shock of finding out the price of a new one :o :o :o :'( :'( :'(   but at least I don't have to buy a new chuck key too!
I did manage to get a bargain in the end though but the down side is it has a screw thread in the back. The writing on the chuck body says 33BA 5/8-16
Can anyone tell me please where I can get a no.2 MT with the aforementioned thread at the other end?
Many thanks

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Jacobs chuck
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »
If you were not so tight you would have bought the right one in the first place you are getting as bad as Pete  ::) ::) ::)

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »
We can't all be as rich as Croeseus George. Some of us have to count our pennies. Pity I didn't know you wanted one  John as I have a spare one I got in a job lot from somewhere. Happy to rent it to you if you can't find the appropriate adaptor.

Actually might even let you have it if you want.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:18:41 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:16 PM »
Friends are better than money Pete

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »
Friends are better than money Pete

Regards George

No way am I going to argue with that Geprge.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
Pete that is very kind of you, thankyou. I am going to get in touch with RDG tools in the morning, I see on their website they have the chuck and taper to the exact specification except it is not a genuine Jacobs chuck :( :( :( but it will probably see me out. I really did want to get my money's worth out of the old one but never mind, the one on the RDG website comes with a free chuck key so it can't be all bad. I did consider stripping the jaws out of the new one and fitting them in the old body but as George has pointed out I shouldn't be so tight  :) :) :) So I will put this new one down as a capital investment.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
 :D :D :D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
John,

I was going to suggest RDG Tools.

I've looked at their site and they don't do a 5/8" 16 2MT but they do a blank 2MT arbour that can be machined (in this case tapped) to any size you want.

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/2-MORSE-TAPER-BLANK-END-ARBOUR-10-MM-DRAWBAR-THREAD-12233A1.html#SID=496
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
I had an agreement with the company that I purchased the chuck from , if it was wrong they would refund me, which they did this morning with no quibble. I then got in touch with RDG tools and placed an order on the phone for the complete unit, they said they will drop it in the post today,according to their website delivery is FOC in the UK. I originally paid just over £45 for the Jacobs chuck, buying a name more than anything but a name I know I can trust. But as RDG is a reputable company I am sure the chuck they supply will be good quality.
I used to keep a book with all of my useful companies and their contact details, now, as my memory is starting to wither ,I need that book more than ever.....but I just can't find it!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
I think you will find that the thread you mentioned will fit a Black and Decker drill, I have a couple of these in a drawer.
I have a drill press, which according to its part number was new in 1957, 60 years old and still going, it has the original chuck and key, the Jacob's chuck I use in the lathe cost a fiver and was rusted solid when I got it. Like you say name to be trusted
Ron

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
They go on forever Ron, except mine has just failed. You used to be able to buy jaw replacements years ago but I guess that shows my age now.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
RDG and Chronos Engineering are both good for bits and bobs like this. Worth looking them up and keeping their details for future use. Malcolm.

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
After waiting in for most of the day Wednesday and Thursday morning I had to pop out , strangely to the post office. Within a couple of minutes of leaving home the aformentioned organisation tried to deliver my new chuck, typical isn't it, you wait for days for a bus..... well you know the story. So I manged to get to the PO parcel office to pick it up Friday morning.
           I have to say that although there are no markings on it to say where or who manufactured it, it looks to be a good solid chuck. Rotating it open and closed by hand , although not as smooth as my old Jacobs chuck, I think once the newness has worn off it will be a good chuck. Looks to be well made and the price was very good. For an extra couple of quid (I know George!) I went with a larger capacity so instead of 13mm I can now hold items 16mm in size.
   A capital investment well deserved,and a pat on the back for RDG tools who would have got it to me quicker had I not decided to go to the PO at that particular time.
As a post script: It also came with the 2MT to fit my lathe and that was a good fit too. (and a free chuck key) :D :D :D