Author Topic: Dying again  (Read 6489 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Dying again
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
I think the problem is the amount of forums / web sites you could post in

Facebook and instagram as already mentioned have woodworking groups

Its summer and lots of people are out enjoying the sunshine and have other thing to do
When it gets colder and wetter hopefully they will return

Lastly some comments made regarding work posted can get some rather blunt replys

It is what it is , you cant force members to post only encourage

:)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
George, Pete
Thanks for your constructive comments. I do know I am being lazy in some respects, but this is a hobby, which means I do as little or as much as I wish.
Having said that, it is indeed true that I could produce more in the same time if I do it right so I will endeavour to engage more with the forum in the future. It is a valued resource for me and, of course, it is a case of use it or lose it!
Woodspinner also makes a good point about summer being a busy time; certainly true for me at the moment, although I do have time to make a very brief comment that I like George's spotty glass frit.
Duncan

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
Thank you Duncan  :D

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »
Some of the contributors to the Gallery I know from other forums and they have posted their work there as well. So how many times do I need to say what I think of a piece. This is something that many have encountered before I am sure I am not alone in this.
I have on occasions commented on more than one forum about the same piece but thought well I have said what I think of something good bad or otherwise why keep repeating myself so now only comment on one or another to that person.
I know I have not posted much work at the moment not because I am afraid of comments as many know I like them especially if it helps me to advance. The reason I have not posted any turning is because I am on another model build and yes there is more turning in it.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
Mostly what I've seen on the various forums it's the same hand full of people that post in that group, if a few of them get a little busy then they seem not to pass comment or post anything and as there is so few regular people that post then the forum goes quite.

If you take this forum there's yourself George, John, Derek, Pete, Les, Bryan, Dennis, Andy, Mike, Tony & Di, Wolfgang, myself (sorry if I've missed anyone) but now I'm having to think hard on who post regularly. Mark S & Eric pop in from time to time. So if 2 or 3 of us stop posting for a bit then you have lost nearly 20% to 30% of your posts.

I for one have not been so active on the forums lately as I've just seemed to be getting busier and busier so I just use FB while I'm having a coffee in the morning. I look at the forums only about once or twice a week. Post a few comments, miss half the posts. But then my time management is crap!  :)

Also I've notice that woodturning slows down June, July and August I guess that the most of the people that do woodturning find other things to do during these months.

Now I lost another 1/2 hour on the AWGB forum  :) :) :)

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
I think ED's hit the nail on the head. As for myself, I haven't been posting anything mostly because I needed to first get my new workshop going, and right now I don't have a setup where  I can take nice pictures. And I really do not want to post crapt pictures on here.
As far as commenting goes, I am sort of going with some advice that George gave me some time ago: if you can't say anything positive or at least give positive critique, then shut up. So, unfortunately I have to say that of late I haven't really seen anything on here that would induce me to spend time writing a nice critique. And I haven't seen anything either that I really, really like. Sorry, guys.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »
, unfortunately I have to say that of late I haven't really seen anything on here that would induce me to spend time writing a nice critique. And I haven't seen anything either that I really, really like. Sorry, guys.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 07:38:09 PM »
Yes, George, I know you had plenty of positive feedback for your work with glass inlays. I've looked at all of them, and although I do appreciate the effort and the fact that you are trying something new, the results do very little for me.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
Interestingly, There is a small surge of new forum members after each e-bulletin so perhaps some of those will get involved with some of the discussions.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
I think ED's hit the nail on the head. As for myself, I haven't been posting anything mostly because I needed to first get my new workshop going, and right now I don't have a setup where  I can take nice pictures. And I really do not want to post crapt pictures on here.
As far as commenting goes, I am sort of going with some advice that George gave me some time ago: if you can't say anything positive or at least give positive critique, then shut up. So, unfortunately I have to say that of late I haven't really seen anything on here that would induce me to spend time writing a nice critique. And I haven't seen anything either that I really, really like. Sorry, guys.

This thread was not about me or my work it was about lack of comments in general so I dont uderstand why you have made it personnal.
I would be very suprised if I had ever told you to give posative critique or shut up.
I think your comment about not having seen anything worth spending time writing nice critique about is very disrespectfull and does nothing to encourage new turners to get involved and show their work.

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 08:00:21 PM »
Interestingly, There is a small surge of new forum members after each e-bulletin so perhaps some of those will get involved with some of the discussions.

What are E bulletins I think that must be something I have not seen but if it gets people involved that can only be good.

Regards George

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »
Yes what are e bulletins. Not something I have seen.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
Quote from: Paul Hannaby on Today at 07:45:05 PM

What are E bulletins I think that must be something I have not seen but if it gets people involved that can only be good.

Regards Georg

IF you go to the awgb home page at the bottom there is a link to sign up for the E bulletins. It' was something we had several years ago and has been reserected a few months ago
Ken.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 10:17:58 PM »
Will do, it is a pity Paul did not tell us.
Thank you

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
There was a mention of the e-bulletin in Revs earlier in the year and there has been a link to subscribe on the website for a few months now.

George,
You have been subscribed to the e-bulletins since February. If you haven't been receiving them, perhaps the email address we have for you (the same one you registered on the forum) is wrong?