Author Topic: Lady Luck is smiling  (Read 6023 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Lady Luck is smiling
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
As the H&S chap I am obliged to say take all precautions when playing with chemicals, read the safety sheet.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
Rest assured, John, I will not take any chances with chemicals. I've now ordered the stuff, how should I prepare it?

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
Rest assured, John, I will not take any chances with chemicals. I've now ordered the stuff, how should I prepare it?

5% - 10% dilution, in warm water in a non-metallic (plastic) container. The warm water aids dissolution of the crystals.  The resulting solution is most easily liberally applied by brush to the turning, but the wood, if small enough, can also be dipped.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:10:34 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
Could I apply it with a spray bottle?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
i wouldn't want to turn it into an aerosol myself.

use a brush or sponge roller.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
I have now received the borax. Spent all day yesterday cutting the pieces into sizes I can actually handle on my own, then planing the sides more or less flat. Produced half a dozen large bags full of shavings for my wife.
In order to split some of the big pieces down the middle, I made myself a simple jig to hold them upright, so I could work with the chainsaw without any danger of losing control. Discovered more beautiful grain. The third image is from a piece just approaching a major crotch in the tree, and the fourth one shows a bowl blank with some nice ripple and (believe it or not) literally green wood!!! Never seen anything like it before.
All the slabs have now been treated with a 5% solution and are stacked and stickered in the garage. Even though I cut a lot of the useless parts off and lost a lot to the splitting process, the stack is still man high.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »
stunning timber there mate and thank you for sending me a lovely big bit of it. it was very kind of you to do so.