Author Topic: Insurance/small print  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Insurance/small print
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:40:17 AM »
Just about to renew my insurance for teaching, demonstrating etc and have been checking the small print.

When I first started demonstrating it was quite the norm to see blow torches, aerosol sprays and compressors being used.

I stopped using blow torches due to fire risk and Aerosol sprays due to fire and respiratory problems for onlookers years ago.

Now though the small print says application of heat so it does not have to be a flame it can be a simple pyrography unit. Using flames and pyro units can still be used as long as I comply with the below, which of course I will.

Just it is getting harder and harder from an insurance point of view.

The reason I have posted this here is for everyone including clubs to check there small print if renewing soon as something gets slipped in year on year so always do read.

The General Terms of this policy and the terms, conditions and exclusions of the relevant sections all apply to
this endorsement except as modified below:
• 6272.0: Application of heat (Applicable to Public and Products Liability)
We will not make any payment for any claim or loss for damage to property arising directly or indirectly from any work
involving the use or application of heat away from your own premises unless you fully comply with the following
conditions.
1. Before starting work involving the use or application of heat:
a. you shall record and follow a written risk management plan, which has been created prior to the work commencing,
which makes adequate provisions for the safety of all persons and property;
b. you will be responsible for fire safety and for ensuring all necessary precautions as prescribed in the written
risk assessment are complied with;
c. you and any of your employees who are present will be fully aware of the written risk assessment and the
location of the venues fire alarms, if any, and appropriate fire extinguishers, in proper working order, must be kept
within ten metres of the use of or application of heat;
d. you shall examine all property within five metres of the use of or application of heat and ensure that all combustible
materials are removed from this area. Combustible materials which cannot be removed must be covered and fully
protected by screens of non-combustible material;
e. all equipment is used strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, including not being lit until
immediately before use and extinguished immediately after use. No piece of lighted equipment shall be left unattended.
2. After completing work involving the use or application of heat:
a. you shall examine all property within five metres of the use of or application of heat and ensure that there are no
flames or signs of smouldering materials
Page

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Insurance/small print
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
Thank you for bringing that to our attention Mark

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
Small print is a pain Thanks Mark. Think ,mine is safe but I'll check.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »
Time to go find a magnifying glass and re-read mine as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
Small print is a pain Thanks Mark. Think ,mine is safe but I'll check.

Pete

Hi Pete

If you are with Ian Wallace it will be the same. I expect all craft insurances will have in in there somewhere as they all conspire to fill all the loop holes.

It was the bit that said all combustibles and not just flammables, pretty cute as even glass is combustible at the correct temperature.

This makes it very interesting for those of that that will now have to consider if we show pyrography at shows/demos etc

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
I am with A-n and have checked the fine print and am covered for pretty much everything I need with no restrictions both in my workshop and anywhere else in the UK. It's a specific insurance for artists. Also as I remember a lot cheaper than Ian Wallace.

Pete

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 12:11:53 AM »
I am with A-n and have checked the fine print and am covered for pretty much everything I need with no restrictions both in my workshop and anywhere else in the UK. It's a specific insurance for artists. Also as I remember a lot cheaper than Ian Wallace.

Pete

ah I will have to look at them as I have not paid up yet and have a week to decide. Only thing I would say, but I appreciate I have not looked at their insurance, I am not an artists, I am a rootin tootin, wood turnin fire startin turner  ;D and I will have to look to see if their insurance is job specific for what I do. I am sure it is as you will have looked at it . The price is not so much of an issue for me as cheap rarely cuts it when poo hits the fan. But I will certainly look and thank you for the info.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:24 AM »
I'm with A-N it seems to cover all crafts

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:17 AM »
I've just been reading the A-N policy schedule, with a view ti signing up, but then I found this, in Clause 2 of their list of  principal exclusions.....
 Any use of applied heat, fire or pyrotechnics away from your studio or normal workplace other than the use of domestic appliances, pottery ovens, kilns, flash paper, flash cotton or flash string.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
No Fire Starter with that one either then  ;D

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
Mark thank you for bringing this to our attention. I think basically they are saying if you are going to demonstrate you will need to risk assess first, which is what should be done for every demonstration anyway. When you read through what has been written it says they will not payout unless you have complied with all their rules. So they are not stopping us from doing it just making us think more about it and making us responsible for our actions, which as demonstrators we were anyway.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
I started doing demos last year. Although not always asked about insurance when being booked I always offer to provide a copy on the indemnity certificate.

And I cannot be said to have done many demos yet, but the last demo I did, before starting, the club events organiser worked though a risk assessment with me on my demo and I was asked to sign it.

Nothing untoward in the assessment, but I did feel that care was being taken to ensure that I understood my role as the evenings demonstrator and they had made sure that they knew what I was going to be doing and that any necessary safety precautions were considered and in place.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
Just contacted the insurers at a-n for verification regarding using a pyro pen and a pewter melting pot at clubs and shows. I'll let you know what they say.

Pete

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
Got a quick response and this is what they say.
Further to your email, it would appear that you are referring to the Public/Products Liability insurance provided free within AIR membership through the a-n.

"We can advise you that this insurance provides cover for the individual artist if they are found responsible, in the course of their visual arts practice, to have caused or contributed to an accident which results in injury to any person or damage to someone else's property. Also for accidents caused by their supply of any Product, where the accident has resulted in injury to any person or damage to someone else's property. No cover is provided for the artwork or contents themselves.

Cover is for UK residents only but is not site specific and can include activities out and about in the UK and worldwide. As long as the artistic business is located at or from premises in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, The Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, then cover extends to include liability whilst the client is temporarily engaged in business outside of these territories, which includes the USA and Canada.

Currently there are certain restrictions which apply such as, the exclusion of work being carried out at a height above 10M and work involving the use of heat equipment away from your studio/workshop. However, we can advise you that with effect from the 1st April 2017, the restriction regarding the use of heat equipment away is being removed from the policy terms when the block insurance for AIR members is renewed by the a-n."

Hope this helps

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
That is excellent news, Pete. I am also with the a-n, and reading your previous posts I thought  "oh-oh, here goes some part of my demo". But now it would appear if I renew after 01/04, it's all covered.