Author Topic: Wood ID  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Wood ID
« on: February 18, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »
I have been sent these photos of some trunks can anyone give me an idea what wood it may be. At first I thought it could be Lime but now not sure as Lime has a more prominent diamond shape pattern in the bark.
I have already asked if there are any leaves as well as a short piece so that I can clean up the end grain as well as cut along the grain. I will post some photos when I find this out

Offline Redwill

• iron
Re: Wood ID
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »
Might be wrong but think it is Sycamore,  member of the Acer family .    The lines in the Bark running the length of the sawn sections and the leaf you can see trapped under one of the sections in the fore of the photo looks very much like Sycamore to me.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:22:13 PM »
Certainly looks like Lime Derek, I have a drive full of it.The leaf looks right for that too, it's kind of heart shaped like white Poplar. --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
Looks like lime to me Derek
regards
Andy

Offline Alan Rowe

• iron
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
The leaves in the first photo are Ivy. Not sure what the wood is though.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:55:21 AM »
Thank you all. The leaves are in fact ivy that is why I put about not having any to ID the wood in my first post.
I now have a couple of pieces so either today or tomorrow I will cut and clean the wood for a better view of it

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 09:51:25 AM »
On closer inspection I can see that Ivy is indeed present (helps if you have glasses on ). It's pouring with rain here but maybe you can compare the bark pattern Derek.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 02:07:17 PM »
Now that I have cut some of it. As can be seen cuts nice even with a coarse blade on end grain.