Author Topic: Wet ash  (Read 2392 times)

Offline otterbank

• bronze
Wet ash
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
Looking for some pointers here. Been turning wet ash felled about 2weeks ago. Racked them for drying in the shed as usual but blue spots have developed. Is this too much air , too little or something else. No heat involved . It looks like the staining on oak from metal grindings but there should be no reason for that. Have I read about blue spot staining or is that just my imagination.
Thanks in advance chaps and chapesses
Michael

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Wet ash
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
Hopefully Toni and Di (Georg) will notice this thread, as I know that they are quite knowledgeable in this field. I believe, however, that this is a fungal attack which can sometimes be avoided by painting the freshly felled timber with Borax. Once established, though, any fungal staining such as this can be minimised with bleach.....try painting a dark spot on the underside and leaving it for a few hours to see if it makes a difference.
Good luck....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
Thanks Les, it wasn't noticeable when I slabed it. I cut it into bowl blanks and sealed with PVA waterproofer. Noticed the small spots all over both the blanks and the ones I had turned. Funnily enough I have a stash of borax not that it was intended for use on timber but I can try it on the turned pieces.
Thanks again
Michael

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »
...I have a stash of borax not that it was intended for use on timber but I can try it on the turned pieces...

If you've already got fungal staining, the borax won't do anything to remove it. The borax acts to prevent/kill fungus and even wood-boring insects, but once fungus has stained the timber you're only real option is to bleach it out.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
Ok Les understood.
Cheers
Michael

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »

Michael... Different  fungal spores are in the air at all times.. Borax ( sodium tetraborate ) applied straight away after cutting
  can stop them and if they are only on the surface can kill them , but you will have to turn  off the PVA as it will have created
  a nice damp warm cosy home for them.
  Kind Regards
  Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks Tony. That will be the issue, I'll have to turn off the PVA. Wee bit frustrating to say the least. Was just a bit confused as I had some local ash last year and there were no problems. Could I have done any thing else to prevent it or is it just the luck of the draw. Thanks again.
Michael

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

It is unusual Michael for a hard wood like ash to pick up spores so quickly , but as said the air around us has 100`s of
  different spores in it some very strong some quite weak giving a myriad of colours . The only sure way is to spray all woods
  with Borax after cutting or working. It can then be sealed with PVA or gloss paint or wrapped in plastic to slow the drying
  process. The good thing is once the wood is dry spores or fungi cannot live or colonise.
  Kind Regards Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
I have always been under the opinion that white woods, like ash and sycamore should be stood on end when they have been slabbed for a few weeks and not to be in contact with, for instance, pine stickers. It has something to do with the sugars in the wood which causes the staining. I have always done it this way and never had a problem. I stand to be corrected
Roger

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »
Thanks Tony. Great info. Think I'll skim off the PVA and give them a spray.

Hi Roger I am aware of stacking sycamore on end but hadn't heard about it with ash. The ash has small blueish spots on the blanks I cut, all within 24 hours. I guess I'll just have to work around it .
Thanks all for responding.
Michael

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
I think the technical name for this is kind of thing is........a design oportunity!
Brian

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
Indeed , Brian, think I'll go with that 😉
Michael