Author Topic: Tea Caddy  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Tea Caddy
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
I've seen a few of these pop up in various places lately, an oriental ceremonial tea caddy. The inner lid and overall lid are a pneumatic fit, that is they settle slowly into place as the trapped air inside is squeezed out. It's a very effective display.

Anyway, my version is in Holly with (I think) a Bubbinga inner lid. The finish is sanding sealer, buffed back and two coats of Renaissance wax, except the tea holding area which is left unfinished.

C&C as you will and all comments appreciated. If you don't wish to comment, thanks for looking.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline iantivenan

• copper
Re: Tea Caddy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »
I like it Bryan, I wonder if the two lids would help keep the contents dry, we live on a narrowboat and mrs t wants me to make a salt box, but the condensation on a boat is a concern, but with 2 lids it might keep dry.
Ian.

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »

Nice idea Bryan, really like it . Well done, thanks

Phil

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
I like this, Bryan, and it cerrtainly looks to be made to your usual standard of cut and finish.
I like it Bryan, I wonder if the two lids would help keep the contents dry, we live on a narrowboat and mrs t wants me to make a salt box, but the condensation on a boat is a concern, but with 2 lids it might keep dry.
Ian.
Ian....have you considered giving either the inner or outer lid a little groove into which a rubber O-ring can sit? I've used this for funerary urns and it's a bit of a fiddle to get diameters spot on, but works very well.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
Very nice Bryan, good shape and finish
regards
Andy

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

Can not fault this one Bryan.. :)... Very minimalistic all elements gel together ... A lovely bit
           of clean white holly you have found.
           Kind Regards Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »

Ian....have you considered giving either the inner or outer lid a little groove into which a rubber O-ring can sit? I've used this for funerary urns and it's a bit of a fiddle to get diameters spot on, but works very well.
Les
Thanks Les.... I'll give that a try.
Ian.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »
Very fine work Bryan. I hope you are well.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
Thank you one and all, it was fun to turn and thanks to Mark Sanger who was the first to introduce me to this in a demo at Burnham on Sea Woodturners.

I don't know of a video in YouTube to link to, there is one in google+ posted by George Watkins, but have never tried to find an old posting in that, if anyone knows they might add it to this thread.

This piece is going to a contractor who has done a lot of hard work for me at work over the last couple of years. His contract and indeed task is up and this is my personal thank you to him. He drinks Mint tea, not sure the caddy would hold enough tea for a day, but it will certainly hold enough mint leaves.

Ian,
I've no idea about moisture on houseboats, I can tell you that the soft close would soon fail as the wood moves, it might be that the lid became stuck on the base. Also If you were to try this, seal; the inside (where I haven't) to try and minimise any moister absorption and limit any movement.

Phil,
Thank you, but it is not my idea or even turning technique. But it was fun to turn.

Les,
Not sure about O' Rings on Funerary Urns, I thought they had to be a screw fit. I know there are special rules for these things, have you looked into the laws on making them?

Andy
than you

Tony & Di,
Thank you. I was give the holly as a reasonably large piece of trunk about 4 years ago, it's been drying since then. Thought the fine grain might suit this piece.

Mark,
Thank you, and yes we are both very well, we've got a new way of staying fit... May I introduce Charlie.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:46:31 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
Beautiful work Bryan

It's the simple looking things are the hardest to get spot on and this looks spot on

Ed