Author Topic: First natural edge  (Read 2381 times)

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
First natural edge
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:40:45 AM »
Here's my first attempt at a natural edge piece. Cherry crotch piece about 8" high.
CC's very welcome please.

Mike

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: First natural edge
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »
Good to see you exploring new things Mike .
A little more attention to detail such as removing the tooling marks would make a big difference.
Five minutes more sanding is all it would have taken.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
Good to see you exploring new things Mike .
A little more attention to detail such as removing the tooling marks would make a big difference.
Five minutes more sanding is all it would have taken.

Regards George

Preservation of 'rusticity' was in my mind lol. Plus I was tired and dinner was ready.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:49:27 AM by bernuk1 »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »
I think rushing it was on your mind Mike better to take a bit longer and make it perfect.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
I think rushing it was on your mind Mike better to take a bit longer and make it perfect.

Regards George

You are right George,there's also some marks from the ca glue I used to hold bits together.
Cheers,
Mike

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:59:09 PM »
Mike,

There is a lot wrong with this piece. There's not much of a design process in it, the wall thickness is not even and as George has noted there are tool-marks.

But on the other side, for a first attempt, you've kept the bark on, you've had a go and experimented and had the courage to post it.

So well done but take a little more time and thought on the next one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:26 PM »
Looks good well done - the shape of the unturned wood limits options, they are always a balance between some "ideal" profile and keeping as much of the bark as you want to keep it natural. Loads of shapes and profiles you could have done but most would probably have meant turning most of the bark off and losing the natural aspect, perhaps a few other options may looked a little less chunky. IMO very good first attempt.

When sanding those wings - they can be knuckle bashers!
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »
Mike,
There is a lot wrong with this piece. There's not much of a design process in it, the wall thickness is not even and as George has noted there are tool-marks.
But on the other side, for a first attempt, you've kept the bark on, you've had a go and experimented and had the courage to post it.
So well done but take a little more time and thought on the next one.

Thanks for your comments,I agree with most of them-the design process was done by Mother Nature,I saw the log and my mind's eye saw what I have produced.If I were to start again I would take a bit more time with sanding etc,but I don't think I'd be worrying about wall thickness being even-it wasn't a technical exercise,it was about creating what I saw and keeping it natural and chunky.It was inspired by a Lyle Jameison video I had watched that morning.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:57:28 PM by bernuk1 »

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
Looks good well done - the shape of the unturned wood limits options, they are always a balance between some "ideal" profile and keeping as much of the bark as you want to keep it natural. Loads of shapes and profiles you could have done but most would probably have meant turning most of the bark off and losing the natural aspect, perhaps a few other options may looked a little less chunky. IMO very good first attempt.

When sanding those wings - they can be knuckle bashers!

Thanks for your comments-I think you have understood what I was trying to achieve-I do have some knuckle damage !!

Mike

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
looks good to me Mike, nice and rustic  ;)
regards
Andy

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
looks good to me Mike, nice and rustic  ;)

Thx Andy