Author Topic: Wax resist?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Wax resist?
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
I don't watch a lot of TV but one program I do like is the pottery throw down. Art, design and craft all in one and I quite enjoy it. In tonight's program the contestants were decorating a water feature and I noticed that one of them used a wax resist technique. So this got me thinking, how could we use a wax resist technique to decorate our work? or more to the point, how could we remove the wax afterwards?

Offline Eddie Perkins

• iron
Re: Wax resist?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
The wax resist could be used on sealed and finished wood prior to decorating with paint techniques and peeled off once the paint is dry. The wood would need to be non porous otherwise the wax resist would soak in and you would not be able to remove it fully.

Wax resist is an emulsion rather than pure wax. In pottery it burns out during the firing, it's probably not a good idea to set fire to your finished piece! ;-). 

You may be able to put some kitchen roll on the wax resist and apply gentle heat, hot air gun or a hot towel providing the finish won't be compromised.

Alternatively use masking tape to mask off areas you don't want the finish to cover.

My wife is a potter and uses wax resist and is my technical adviser in this matter.
Eddie

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
Eddie thanks for your reply, yes I know I could use tape to mask an area but it was just the effect that the wax gave,a bit like when you paint with water colours and the paint runs out at the end of the stroke and yes I could  seal the areas but I don't think it will give the same effect. Perhaps I should just stop watching tele all together!! ;D

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
  Hi John,

I think painters in water colours use some sort of similar thing that is brushed or sometimes sprayed on and after is peeled off like a thin membrane

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
Winsor and newton's masking fluid is the thing Martin is thinking about it's a latex fluid and is excellent for masking wood especially when air brushing.
 Regards tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
BHT Tony has answer your question just use a latex masking solution works great on wood :)

All the best

Ed

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:29 PM »
Thank you all, Tony when I think about it is so obvious ( image of a BHT slapping his head!!) indeed I have used the stuff myself in the past. I suppose old age is now starting to take it's toll......... :-[ :-[ :-[
 Thanks for getting involved all of you. ;)