Author Topic: What are you looking for in a demonstration?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
What are you looking for in a demonstration?
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »
When I do demos I always wonder exactly what the 'audience' is looking for. An average club can have members ranging fron non turners to experienced professionals so trying to get a good balance is never easy. Feed back what you expect / hope for from a demontrator. Teaching, inspiration, entertainment, new ideas, all the above? Be interested to hear.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: What are you looking for in a demonstration?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »
I would advise asking in advance what the people want when you visit , That way you can bring the appropriate tools equipment timber stock etc and have a head start rather than being thrown in the deep end on the evening

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
I would advise asking in advance what the people want when you visit , That way you can bring the appropriate tools equipment timber stock etc and have a head start rather than being thrown in the deep end on the evening
I am talking more of the expectations. Wghat material etc to take isn't a problem more what people are gpoing to  demo for. Any demonstrator plans in advance what he or she is going to do and liases with the organisers regarding equipment etc but I am curious as to what people are going for.

Pete

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
Pete, Surely when you are booked for a demo, you also get the demographics of the club, some level of the skills and an idea of what has been demo'd before?
You then have a discussion with the events organiser to sort out what is the most suitable demo.

I believe we are offered a selection of topics for a demo and our Events Organiser chooses which he deems to be the most appropriate for our mixed level of skills and ages in the club.

We always try to look for an entertaining and informative demo which people can take something away from, to try in their own shop. Maybe even a new twist on an old favourite or method?

It doesn't always work but we get a fair degree of success.

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »
Pete,

We always try to look for an entertaining and informative demo which people can take something away from, to try in their own shop. Maybe even a new twist on an old favourite or method?

This is the sort of thing I am querying. My reason for the question is partly because of the discussion you have on remote demos and partly because based on feedback I find that different people seem to hope for different things. I am purely curious as to what people are looking for in a good demo, not what contents or what is actually being demonstrated but on what the goal is. As I initially asked, teaching, inspiration, entertainment, new ideas, all the above? Most clubs will have a range of abilities, knowledge, experience etc and there is obviously a need to aim to give a demo that has something for everyone.

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
I think the range of answers to this question is probably as wide as the audience itself. However, I'd say that if a demonstrator has huge technical skill and experience, but a totally dull delivery, that will always be disappointing. In this aspect you will probably find the most experienced audience having the same expectation as the least experienced club members.
It would also explain why Nick Agar is such a popular guy, as he combines both skill and entertainment to a high degree.
Personally I am always looking for a new tidbits of technique, tooling or decoration advice, but even if none of that was there, and I just had a good laugh, I'd still be pleased.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
I only have a short list of requirements! ;)

A demonstrator that is communicative but doesn't spend the whole session talking about irrelevant things.
A demonstrator that is knowledgeable, competent and confident without being cocky or arrogant.
A demonstration that is interesting, entertaining, informative and possibly inspirational.
A demonstration that is safe - demonstrators who pay no heed to safety sometimes make me cringe!

Like I said, just a short list ;)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Pet e I have to say that for me it does not matter what is being demonstrated as most times when I attend a demo I usually come away with "something" it might be a different way of doing bits that I have done for years and you experience the light bulb moment or it might just be a dent in a profile that you think you will use in future. It is nice to be enterained and taught new things but my enjoyment continues after the demo has finished when we discuss what we have seen and (possibly) how we would do certain things differently. I can sum it all up in one word regardless of the subject and regardless of the quality.........comradeship. of if you wish ......fellowship. It is the sharing of experiences at demos and events that makes it all so enjoyable.

Offline Alan Fordham

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »
As just n ordinary club member I want to be inspired to go home and have a go at what has just been demonstrated.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:54 PM »
Personally I look for a great cup of tea or a good strong coffee and I have to say all the clubs I demonstrate at look after me wonderfully.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:03:20 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline mart1949

• iron
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
As a fairly new wood turner I like it when the person that gives a really good introduction fully explaining what they are going to do .Not making assumptions that the audience knows everything about the subject.Telling us about the type of wood they are going to turn.Some safety points and a quick demo showing the importance of sharpening tools.How to correct mistakes and taking to those watching .answering questions and engaging the audience .  Martin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
It's easier to say what I don't want.

I don't want a demonstrator who is there to show off how clever they are.

I don't care how wonderful the item turned is, it must have a reason, a technique to see performed, an explanation of methods used, something to encourage or develop those watching.

Last night I was at a demo by one of the club members who has only been turning for 2 years. It was a little rough, certainly unpolished, but he had the courage to stand up and show us something I'd not seen done before, so I learnt and took something away from the evening to add to my repository of techniques.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!