Author Topic: 1st colouring attempt  (Read 2036 times)

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
1st colouring attempt
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
Having turned pens for last 6mths,I now want to move on.Here's my third ever bowl which is also my first attempt at colouring.
Please be gentle with the C&C's  ;D  But they are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:01:30 PM by bernuk1 »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: 1st colouring attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:57:48 AM »
For a 3rd bowl it's not bad at all.

I think that the foot is a bit heavy/chunky and the inside of the foot could have done with a bit more work to remove the marks inside of it. I think that you would do better to have used a dovetail to mount the piece in the chuck and then this can be turned away to make the base look much cleaner.

The finish that you have used could have been cleaned out of the splits in the knot and there seems to be dots of finish on the underside of the piece. You might fine it better to use a spray on lacquer on a coloured piece like this.

The colours on the rim look better than the underside of the bowl but what you could try is putting on your first colour then once dry sanding with 320 then adding the next colour letting it dry then sanding again and so on till the colours seem to work and they will blend better that way.

But all in all it's a good early attempt at colouring, keep going  :)

Ed

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
Thanks Ed,
Finish now cleaned out of knot,recess was cut when blank was going to end up as a plain salad bowl (discovery of knot put paid to that)
I do tend to call things 'finished' when another hour or so would make a big difference,so keep telling me that :-)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »

Can see what you  were trying to achieve  from the first pic ... but the wood looks a bit dirty so showing through
  the stain badly... but after saying that I think on the next one with a cleaner piece of wood you will have much more
  success ,
   Kind Regards Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
I'm a little torn on this, I'm not sure the colour is right. It's a little too strong to flash the grain, but not strong enough to stand and say, I've been coloured to look like more than wood.

But as you say it's your first attempt at colouring, it must be considered an experiment in trying something new and its not a failure.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »

Can see what you  were trying to achieve  from the first pic ... but the wood looks a bit dirty so showing through
  the stain badly... but after saying that I think on the next one with a cleaner piece of wood you will have much more
  success ,
   Kind Regards Tony d
d it.
Thx georg-I'm a little confused by 'wood looks dirty' it's as it was when I turned  it. How can one ensure that a blank will be 'clean' right through-or is it just luck ?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »

It looks like Sycamore possibly maple to me if so it is notorious for pulling in dirt and algae when drying this can give it
  quite a dirty look if it has not been dried correctly , I have been spraying my freshly cut sycamore with borax which can help
  stop the algae and dirt ingress, finding clean sycamore in blank form can be quite hard.
  Hope This Helps
  Regards Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/