Author Topic: Bearings  (Read 7061 times)

BarryMobbs

Re: Bearings
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
Greetings,
 I have not seen the machine yet, but I am told that it is a rotovator. I will try to get a picture when it is re-assembled.
 The turning is very simple. I cut blanks big enough for two bushes turned them to round between centres and cut a spigot.
 Then in a chuck I turned the outside diameter to size and drilled a pilot hole from the tailstock to guide the cutter.  The cutter is an old carbon steel type for use with a hand brace but it cut very well if you sharpen it frequently. It is important however that the pilot hole is big enough to stop the lead crew from getting a grip or it will try to pull the cutter into the wood.
 Having completed the bore I used a parting tool to cut the groove and a sawtooth cutter in a pistol drill to form the grease nipple recess followed by a drill to complete the greaseway into the bore. It was then parted off, marked with a pyrography pen to ensure pairs kept together and cut in half on the bandsaw.
 Many thanks for your suggestions and comments - Barry

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: Bearings
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:37 PM »
Hi Barry
Excellent WIP pics. We could do with a lot more of these. Anything interesting we are asked to make, photo it.
Roger G