Author Topic: Summer Treebowl  (Read 5435 times)

Richard Kennedy

Summer Treebowl
« on: July 24, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
Just re-joined this forum so Im testing to see if I have figured out the uploading of images. This is a recent tree bowl that is going to be displayed in the new Laing Gallery Museum shop once their refit is complete! its elm pierced and carved with a pyrography and lacquer finish. about 150mm x 150mm sits on an Argyll stone plinth

Comments always welcome
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:06:34 PM by Richard Kennedy »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Summer Treebowl
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Hi Richard....welcome back! The image works, but has to be opened as a remote PDF, rather than capable of being viewed within the forum.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Richard Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
I tried to upload it as a .jpeg but it refused I always thought jpg and jpeg were the same?????? I would prefer it to be visible Im using a mac any tips???

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »
I upload my images into Photobucket, then copy-and-paste a link to them, straight into the post.
Les

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
i don't have to view it as a pdf. works fine for me.

very nice work too.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »
Ah....there wasn't a thumbnail when I first viewed it, but there is now and it opens within the forum for me now.
Les

Richard Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
Hi I added a PNG file so it can be seen without having to faff about downloading stuff

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
How rude of us....we're 7 replies into this thread and we haven't yet mentioned the piece of work, so here goes.

It's unusual to see you working in elm and I suspect that it might have been a little more challenging than sycamore. What I've always envied in your work (besides the obvious quality) is the way that light interact with it. Whether it's the way that light passes through it, or casts shadows behind it, that light always adds to the piece. A fact that is enhanced by the quality of the photography.

Les

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:23:20 PM »

Hi Richard,
                     Welcome to the AWGB Forum I have long admired your work and I find this piece hits the spot every thing about it is fabulous,

Regards John
John Smith

Richard Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »
Hi Les Indeed I don't usually use Elm for this kind of thing, however I had this bowl in the workshop so I thought I would try it out. I have pierced elm before however it is much trickier to pierce. The difference between he spring and summer growth makes piercing interesting as the different densities mean that the piercing burr jumps between easy piercing to hard so much so that it can deviate quite unexpectedly! However this piece was very forgiving so much so I would do it again! To be honest I think that using different woods adds a different dimension to this kind of work.... I'll be experimenting in the future!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 12:56:14 AM »
How rude of us....we're 7 replies into this thread and we haven't yet mentioned the piece of work, so here goes.

It's unusual to see you working in elm and I suspect that it might have been a little more challenging than sycamore. What I've always envied in your work (besides the obvious quality) is the way that light interact with it. Whether it's the way that light passes through it, or casts shadows behind it, that light always adds to the piece. A fact that is enhanced by the quality of the photography.

Les

eeerm, at 4 replies in i did say it was very nice work ;D

Richard Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
Yes I did notice and thanks for all the interest!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »
Richard,

I like this, having spent many days walking over mountain, hills, moors and fells I'm used to seeing gorse growing out of a crack in a rock and growing in a direction dictated by the prevailing wind.

That is exactly the feeling I get when I look at this piece of work, very evocative, very emotive.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:41:45 PM »
Yes I did notice and thanks for all the interest!  ;D ;D ;D

how long did it take to do all the piercing?

Richard Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 12:08:56 AM »
The piercing took a a few hours I did it over a week so I can't say exactly, just did a bit everyday. Elm can be very difficult to pierce the interlocked grain can cause the burr to wander suddenly but this piece of Elm was remarkably compliant! There were a couple of spots that were tricky, softer spots where the cutting tip tried to whizz off but overall it went so well I aim to pierce some other more difficult woods.