Author Topic: Robert Sorby texturing Tool - advice and recommendation  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Robert Sorby texturing Tool - advice and recommendation
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:21:59 AM »
I have been looking at some of the very nice textured turnings in the Gallery and would like to try this method, mainly for bowls and platters. Can anyone who has the Sorby system offer any advice for or against. I don't want to end up with a tool which will not be used hanging on my rack.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Robert Sorby texturing Tool - advice and recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
Best advice buy the Crown one it is the same but cheaper

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
if you are refering to this one, http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1698 i have this and only used it a couple of times. perhaps we could do a deal?

give me a call if you are interested.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
I have the Robert Sorby one and don't use it a great deal but I have great fun trying to achieve different effects. I am fortunate that I got mine off of e bay and must have caught it on a good day when no one was looking and paid about a third of the price for it. This way I am not worried if it sits and gets little use.

Like any tool they can take a little getting use to so don't expect great results from the start

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:43:39 PM »
Hi Stuart

I have and use the Sorby texturing tool set and find it extremely good I spent a day with Nick Agar using this tool on one of his Viking Sunset bowls and Nick is a master with the tool.

If you are looking to do texturing then you won't go far wrong with Sorby, but then I would say that as I stock and sell them.

However I have not used the Crown but looking on Axminster Tools I can see what George is saying the Crown is 99.00 where the Robert Sorby is 165.00

All the best

Ed