Author Topic: Menhirs  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Menhirs
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »
I've been searching for a way of using up a stack of logs that I've got, which are fairly dry, but have plenty of natural features in them, so they're not the best stock for some of my work. I stumbled on a picture of tall stones, or menhirs as they are known on the continent. They're becoming very popular in garden centres as garden ornaments and are fetching interesting prices, so I've got a batch of 750 high x 300 diameter pieces on the go. Meanwhile, John Lewis Partnership had asked me to make a few sculptural, organic pieces for a lounge in their private hotel, locally, so I had the idea of adapting the menhir to an indoor, sculptural form. I've made two sets of three for them, as a starter, and the set photographed is 12", 9" and 6" high. They are a dawdle to make, just spun between centres to rough them out, then I cut a groove in the tail-stock end to accept my chuck jaws (4", 2" and 1" respectively), did most of the work between centres, then finished off the peak using the chuck....no hollowing so quick to make.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Menhirs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
Difficult to make a judgement from the picture but I should think they are one of those pieces that people will want to pick up and feel. They look very tactile.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
Difficult to make a judgement from the picture but I should think they are one of those pieces that people will want to pick up and feel. They look very tactile.

Pete
Indeed, they are Pete....and they're also darned heavy....and within an hour of finishing them and letting the client know, they'd whisked them away. Must get a photo of them on-site.
Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
Very nice les like a little family

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
An interesting idea. I guess there could be a problem with cracks developing in the future if they were to be subjected to a sudden change in humidity.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:41:22 PM »
An interesting idea. I guess there could be a problem with cracks developing in the future if they were to be subjected to a sudden change in humidity.
I'm fairly sure that there will be, Paul, and this has been discussed with the client. The hotel is having a change of decor to reflect the nature of the Snowdonia National Park, in which it is situated; out goes chintz and lace, in comes natural materials. If these menhirs develop natural cracks, then they're fine with that. What really pleases the client is that the churchyard which was the source of the timber can be seen from the windows in which the menhirs are already placed.
As for the larger ones, which will be made to decorate gardens, I'm sure that cracks will be expected and accepted.
Les

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »

Great idea ...  Certainly different and eye catching Les
    Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:39 PM »
Nice idea Les and they work for me

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »
When I first saw these I thought of bullet heads. But have learnt something instead. I like these as they have nice clean lines and having the three makes a difference as i don't think one on it's own would not work so well.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Les,

I've seen the sort of stuff you mention in the local (chain-store) garden centre, but they are not so nearly well made or presented as the 3 you show here.

But how can timber 300 mm thick by 750 mm long be too dry, timber that size will never dry!

Once again, you step in another direction and show us something new.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »
....But how can timber 300 mm thick by 750 mm long be too dry, timber that size will never dry!...
Hi Bryan, I don't recall using the term 'too dry'...I said 'fairly dry' !
Les