Author Topic: Oak hollow form  (Read 2754 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Oak hollow form
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »
This is an antiqued oak hollow form, 3" dia. I have put it on a slate base and added stones that compliment the colours in the wood. Large split has been left as is and smaller ones filled with silver (OKaluminium LOL) At the moment they are held in place with blue tack until I am sure of the piece. C&C welcome as always.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Oak hollow form
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »

We like the Rustic Look you have achieved on the Hollow Form and the Base Pete ....... For us though Fine Tall Finials
    do not seem to go with rustic pieces...... Perhaps to tie in the over all Rustic look the stones could be a lot rougher.
    As always though this is down to individual tastes as to what you personally think looks right.
    Regards Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
In a composition piece I feel that it's always important that there is a true, flowing line running through the various elements. Starting at the far left corner of the slate, passing over the pile of stones, the widest point of the hollow form and then on to the tip of the finial, there is a lovely curve that flows....it really works.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
Thanks Georg and Les. The hollow form has a very high polish which doesn't show up in the photo so it doesn't look rustic so much as antiqued or aged. I tried several different types of finial (I have a box of differnet types LOL) and a tall one worked best. Not as eloquent as you Les as to why but it just seemed to work as do the various colours of the stones which reflect colours in the wood. Usually with these pieces they are hanging around and getting changed and tried out with different bits and pieces for a while but this one seemed to gel pretty quickly. Hopefully someone will like it enough to pay good money LOL

pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »
I like how it is in the first photo but when you turned the hollow form the ali fill just does not look right and distracts from the setting but that is just me.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:24:10 AM »
Loving everything about this Pete (apart from the blue tack :) )

Are you going to set the stones with the same ali resin that you filled the cracks with?

All the best

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »
Morning Ed, thanks for the feedback.
I wasn't no but now you have put the idea in my head..........

Pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »
Pete I like the shapes but think the very shiny finish (for this piece) is OTT. I agree with Tony and Di about the finial but feel that it should be a short fine one, nicely turned and finished to "set off" the rustic-ness (is that a word?)of the body.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
I've looked at this several times now, and am still a little undecided. I quite like the hollow form itself, and I'd go along with the slab and the pebbles (without the blue tack),. On the other hand, I am not a fan of that finial at all. I think the cone at the top is way too big, and the overall shape and proportions just don't appeal to me. Sorry, Pete, but the finial doesn't work for me at all, and that has a huge impact on the entire piece.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
Pete,

The ultra tall finial seems to distract from the overall effect and upset the balance.

Just a thought, have you thought about using a stone as a finial, to balance with the stones on the base, or even a piece of wood shaped to imitate a pebble.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!