Author Topic: HMS Trincomalee winged box  (Read 1904 times)

Offline wider

• gold
HMS Trincomalee winged box
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »
I have been turning a few things for the oldest floating ship in the world HMS Trincomalee. this bowl is from Malabar teak and the lid is ash. The sides of this were left as rough to add to the caricature of its age. all comments welcome

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: HMS Trincomalee winged box
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:14:24 AM »
Hi Dennis

To me I think that the curve of the bowl would have looked better had it match the curve of the lid, and a lower foot so the bowl looked like it was floating.

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
I think the lid and the knob/finial are just right, and I don't mind the rough sides. However, I do think that winged boxes like this need to rest on the wings and the bottom of the box needs to float in air. I understand that this will have been a challenge given the rough outside, but still think it would look better that way.

Nice idea, though.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
thank you for your comments and I agree with them about the bowl needing to be the same shape as the lid. Ed there is a small foot on it and the wings are floating just not very visible on the photos. if I do another one I will take the comments on board and do the bowl better. thank you.