Author Topic: Ball and Sphere Turning Success!  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Ball and Sphere Turning Success!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
Safety aspect,always tie back long hair before working on a lathe,as hair can get caught and pull your face into revolving workNasty,always remove rings as they can get caught and tear off your fingers,bangles etc remove before working on lathe,again they can get caught in the revolving work and break your wrist and if fingers in the way when this happens again they can get torn off,a full face safety mask would be better than goggles as if you have a catch and the work jumps off it can smash you in the face,an American lady was very badly injured last year when this happened another person was killed last year when this happened,the list goes on to numerous to mention,so please look at safety practices and join a club and ask how to do things safely please,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »
Dear Nick (Simpson),
Why don't you all write to Jimmy Clewes and tell him to take his video off the internet. In the very first video I looked at, in a search for no dust mask, Jimmy uses no dust mask while standing in a cloud of dust - which we were NOT. (see 42 m 54 sec. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNDxDHShOL8). At 42 m 04 s Jimmy sets fire to alcohol in the same video. At 44:31 we see Jimmy wearing a ring, for which I am reviled.

I invite all the readers here to find me a demonstration video that lives up to the standards by which I am being judged. Find one, by searching, not by memory. When you do find it, tell me how many you looked at before finding the one.

By no means do I say that I am right because I simply do as everyone else does in practice. What I do say is that I ASKED for help and advice, so help me and advise me. Do NOT attack me, flame me, and pour out a stream of hatred on me.

Be nice,
Francois

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
Francois,
I haven't seen any outpouring of hatred, just a number of concerns over safety.

Other videos advocating unsafe practice is no justification for anyone else to do the same. As an organisation, the AWGB tries to promote safe practices for all turners but we can't control what others publish.

I would also suggest even with good dust extraction that PPE was still used.

To all participants in this thread - please keep any comments to the subject being discussed and avoid any personal remarks.

Offline GoodGreeff

• iron
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Dear Eric (Harvey),
Thanks for a kind and helpful word.

I repeat your letter here, with my reply.
"Safety aspect,always tie back long hair before working on a lathe,as hair can get caught and pull your face into revolving workNasty,always remove rings as they can get caught and tear off your fingers,bangles etc remove before working on lathe,again they can get caught in the revolving work and break your wrist and if fingers in the way when this happens again they can get torn off,a full face safety mask would be better than goggles as if you have a catch and the work jumps off it can smash you in the face,an American lady was very badly injured last year when this happened another person was killed last year when this happened,the list goes on to numerous to mention,so please look at safety practices and join a club and ask how to do things safely please,cheers,"

1. I did tell Holly that women got their hair caught in the lathes during the war, and it took their faces off. That was when we got the rubber band and put her hair in it.
2. I agree about jewellery. I thought about sleeves, and loose bits, but I missed the jewellery. Holly, at one point, brought the apron strings around her waist and tied them in front of herself. I pointed out the risk of catching the tapes and we retied them behind her.
3. Full face masks do not work as well as one expects. They scuff and make it difficult to see what one is doing, and they mist up too.
4. I am a very active member of a local wood turning association, which I do not name because its standards as as high as all the other clubs and and local associations.
5. There is a great deal of good going on in the background, and no-one asked about it. The pharisees just attacked.

I would like to see the videos that my attackers made, please. Can anyone guide me to them please?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
It seems to me that everybody here has tried to advise you against unsafe practices but you come up with answers to justify them every time or point out that somebody else does the same thing.
nobody here is picking on you so stop feeling sorry for yourself and listen.
You say you want help and advise so go back through this thread with an open mind and you will find lots of help and advise.
What area do you live in I am sure there will be somebody in your location that could give you some one to one practical advise.

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
1. I did tell Holly that women got their hair caught in the lathes during the war, and it took their faces off. That was when we got the rubber band and put her hair in it.
3. Full face masks do not work as well as one expects. They scuff and make it difficult to see what one is doing, and they mist up too.

I would like to see the videos that my attackers made, please. Can anyone guide me to them please?

On your points above -
I recall reading somewhere that a young lady was killed while woodturning because her hair got caught so avoiding any long trailing hair is essential. I think I would try to get Holly to tie the hair up more so it was hanging down less, or tuck the pony tail underneath clothing to keep it out of the way.

If the face mask gets scuffed, replace it! There is no excuse for not using adequate protective equipment. Many have limited shelf lives anyway and should be replaced periodically. There are also anti-fog visors available for a few pounds extra. I know for the ones I use (Honeywell Bionic), the manufacturer recommends replacement of the visor every 2 years. I just replaced mine with new anti-fog visors and I haven't noticed them misting up. When not in use, I hang them up so they don't get scuffed.

Posting videos online was never any indication of experience or other qualifications.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »

GoodGreeff,
                      At first I was going to comment about some of the points made by other Members then I thought no watch the Video first

all I have to say is "Oh My God" this should have an X Rating and the link should be removed by the Moderator of this Forum.

please take the advice of members who are very experienced turners and I think some of the strong comments were made by

their "shock horror" :o :o  in watching this.

Regards John                             
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
Personally I don't think the link should be removed it should stay and include all the comments as a warning to others.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

karyudo

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that a young lady was killed while woodturning because her hair got caught so avoiding any long trailing hair is essential.

It wasn't woodturning but it was a lathe. The safety issues are the same:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/nyregion/yale-student-dies-in-machine-shop-accident.html

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 07:41:53 PM »
I thing enough has been said about the H&S aspects of the video.

What I will say is I am impressed by the confidence with which the lady handles the tools. Yes there is still a lot of learning to go, but having the confidence she has is a great start.

Please, instruct her in the necessary safe practices and she'll soon be a very impressive turner.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:44:31 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »
Francois, in my capacity as the H&S co-ordinator for the AWGB I would like to make some suggestions for your future safety if I may.
    Please do not wear gloves when operating a machine with moving parts. The material of the glove can be grabbed, unlike skin which will tear or cut a glove will not and could pull your hand into the machine with dangerous consequences. If the shavings hitting the hand hurt or the sanding process causes the hand to burn the lathe speed is too high, slow it down.I also noticed that Holly was wearing a glove when sanding the inside of the box. This is an unsafe procedure as if the glove material is grabbed this time the type of injury that could be caused is a torsion injury and they are horrible. I also noticed that when polishing the lathe appeared to be running backward, the lathe should run in the same direction as you would when turning, this will prevent the work being thrown upwards into the face should a grab occur but also as there are fibres from the polishing wheel released during the process this will prevent them from once again flying upwards into the face.
       As a mature gentleman you will understand our concerns about the health and safety of you and Holly and I am sure that in future you will take into consideration the points that have been raised here and although I am not in a position to tell you what to do I am happy to offer you guidance should you require it. Simple things like drawing the line with the lathe running, you should have the pencil pointing down as if the lead breaks it will fall out of harms way and will not be propelled towards the face. Safe turning makes for a more enjoyable hobby that hopefully you will both enjoy for years to come.