Author Topic: Some recent work  (Read 1943 times)

Offline John. B

• iron
Some recent work
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
This is a Laminated Hollow-form vase with a twist finial lid from African Blackwood.
The woods are Sapele main body, the laminations are Maple veneer and bullet wood, (Massaranduba)
It is 29 cm high. Made for this Spring Club Challenge. ( Anything turned from more than two different species of wood).
C&C's welcome.

John. B

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Some recent work
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:32:06 PM »
Overall the quality of the work on both the vessel and the finial are great, just wish it had a curved base rather than the straight cut off so it looked as if it were floating. Personal taste not a criticism as such.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John. B

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
Thank you Pete,
Must confess, that was the second option, but decided on the first.

John. B

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
There are captivating features of this piece that hold the attention of the viewer, but I have to agree with Pete that I also would prefer to see more of an under-curve.
Les

Incidentally, I notice that you have used Photobucket and that your thumbnails redirect us to that site. When you put the link to your photo in your posting, try clicking on 'IMG', at the bottom of the photo sharing menu. You'll notice that the link turns yellow and bears the word 'copied' briefly. Photobucket has then placed a link to the image on your clipboard, so if you simply paste it into your post (by pressing ALT and V), a link to the image will then be implanted into your post which opens the image within the post, rather than opening a new tab and redirecting the reader.

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John. B

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
Thank you Les, I'll try that :)

john. B

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
Although not a great lover of segmented work, I do like this as laminated work, it's not overly fussy in it's appearance, but it does have an appealing style about it, especially with the spiral finial adding just that little bit more visual effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!