Author Topic: ash bowl.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline wider

• gold
ash bowl.
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
I am trying to get my shape right from some of the comments on here saying that my bowls wear dog bowls. so taking the comments on board I have started turning I hope a better shape. all comments welcome.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: ash bowl.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:07 AM »
first of all that is not ash. it's in the acer family so probably sycamore.

secondly you should not take what people say on here too seriously or be too hurt by their comments if you can as in my opinion you should be able to turn whatever shape you like. like many on here i started out turning some very odd shapes and i usually have not turned most of them twice as they did not seem that attractive even to my eye. the shape of the wood can often dictate the final design as can the grain of the timber once exposed. i will still turn a dog bowl or other unusual shape as it is often a talking point on the stall and you always get someone who will buy the one that most think is downright ugly.

for me this bowl looks fine as it is but i'm sure there will be others who disagree.

don't forget that there is no magic formula to follow to create each piece, if there were and we were all following it then lots of bowl posted on this and other forums would look very similar indeed.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:29 AM »
thank you for your comments and for the correction of wood type.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
Your bowl shapes are improving but I don't think the outward sloping rim works with the Ogee bottom.
Personally I don't like rims that slope outwards because it draws the eye away from the inner bowl. I like them to either be level or sloping in that way it takes nothing from the bowl.
A very slightly convexed rim can also look nice.
The finish looks very good.

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »
I agree with everything Steve's said already. It is good to take comments on board, but you also have to take into consideration where they come from, and follow your own instinct. Everybody starts out with dog bowls, and often there's a fine line between that and a nice bowl. Finding that fine line takes a bit of time.

And yes, definitely sycamore with some nice spalting, and not a bad shape at all. I am not sure about the drooping rim, but overall a nice piece.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
I am with George, but I looked at the last photo first and for the overall profile, in it the outwardly curving rim does look wrong.

However, when I went up to look at the rest, the overall shape is quite pleasing as the rim is actually not that wide and it can just get away with it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »
thank you all for your comments. George I will take your point to mind and when I do my next bowl of this type I will remember what you have told me and will refine the shape. possibly do a rime like the spalted beech bowl I posted earlier. I was in two minds weather to roll the edge over or flow it in to the bowl.
many thanks to you all