Author Topic: Dust Extraction  (Read 4615 times)

partviking

Dust Extraction
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
I have searched the forum and seen some posts on this subject but our situation is slightly unusual. My partmer and I have just finished a 6m x 4m 'studio' for joint use. Her woodturning and my classic car maintenance (though only engines/axles etc are worked on in the unit not whole vehicles).

The two are of course totally incompatable as her dust doesn't mix well mith my 'greasy parts'.

Realistically is there any extractor that will solve the issue, my perception is probably not.

She only uses a lathe and doesn't have any other machinery. We're off to Stiles & Bates tomorrow with a view to purchasing a Record RSDE-2 to try and help, are we wasting our money? Are there better alternatives? We can vent externally if that helps.

Thanks for any help you can give, my partner is very much the novice and I'm keen to support her but the layers of dust covering everything at the moment are causing us a headache

Thanks for your help

Alan & Juliet

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Dust Extraction
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:24 AM »
Essentially, you need to trap the dust as close to its source as possible....once it gets airborne and away from the lathe, then you'd need an almighty extractor fan and a similar open vent somewhere, to provide sufficient airflow. To be honest, I doubt that this is an issue that you will be able to fully control, but rather, you will be able to minimise it. Try setting up a series of rails and hanging shower curtains around the lathe (at a safe distance to avoid them touching or getting sucked in to any moving parts) and set up a dust extractor with a hose and terminal that can be adjusted - sometimes referred to as 'posable' - to extract as much dust as possible right at the source. A further help would be a good sized air filter suspended above and reasonable close to the lathe.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
Have to second the air filter, I have one in my workshop in addition to extractors and I have to say when I don't use it there is a film of dust everywhere, when I use the filter this is minimized. Make sure you get one to suit the volume of your studio and position it to recirculate as much air as possible. Having an area curtained of certainly helps to localize the dust and shavings, I have some very fetching Paisley numbers at the moment, or if you have the room to, some mobile partition walls. What a great mixture of interests.... Best of luck.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
dependant on how much turning is done and knowing how quickly i get up to my waist in shavings i recommend one of these...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omni-LARGE-Dust-Cyclone-workshop-pre-filter-separation-wood-dust-powder-plastic-/172098392881?hash=item2811dd1331

i was concerned about the price tag to begin with but i took the plunge and now think it was the best money i've spent in a long time...

put it on top of a wheelie bin attached to a single bag extractor and you will have solved the problem in my opinion.

here is my set up.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:56:40 PM by seventhdevil »

partviking

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
Many thanks for replies and advice.

I think the air filter would be ideally suited as the lathe is adjacent to an external wall so perhaps a combination of air filter and chip/dust collector would be a belt and braces approach. Somewhat expensive but in the long run it may be the best solution.

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards

Alan & Juliet

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:04:13 AM »
shame you cant put a studded wall up to isolate the lathe area or sheeting - maybe a curtain alongside a good extractor
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
I use cloth dust sheets as curtians in my workshop, just draped over dowelling fitted close to the ceiling, they can be opened and closed according to what I am doing. But I also agree with the other comments here, close extration on the lathe and one in the air for irborne particles. Don't use your lungs as an extractor as replacements are difficult to find.