Author Topic: Patriot Chuck (Richard Sorby)  (Read 2353 times)

Steve T

Patriot Chuck (Richard Sorby)
« on: April 01, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
I've a Richard Sorby Patriot Chuck and the jaw tightening hex screws have worn to circles. Now they won't turn!
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the offending screws or is it a case of forking out for a new chuck (I can't believe that the last option is necessary though).
I've emailed the Richard Sorby support people, awaiting a response...

Any advice gratefully received.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Patriot Chuck (Richard Sorby)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
You should be able to drill the heads off the screws to remove the jaws, then use some pliers to remove the screw and replace with new ones.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
Are you referring to the small hex screws, of which there are 2 in each of the 4 jaws, or the 2 large hex head pinion gears on the side of the chuck body, which are used for tightening/releasing the jaws?

If the former, then follow Paul's suggestion, but if the latter, then Robert Sorby will provide a new pair of pinions and they are very easy to fit.

Les
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:42:36 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Steve T

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks guys,

The nice man fom Richard Sorby sent and email outlining how to replace the pinions (so that's what they are...) and will send a couple of replacements free of charge under warranty!

What great service.

It's reassuring to know the fitting is easy too.

ATB
Steve

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
But perhaps the question should be asked why did it happen in the first place?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:44:39 PM »
Indeed, why did this happen in the first place? I have seen many turners who tighten the jaws in an extreme fashion, and I have to say there is little point in that. In side grain, this may even damage the wood to the point where you can easily rip the tenon off (has happened to me!), and in end grain you may cause artificial cracks around the tenon. Once the jaws have a tight grip, there is no need to apply further titanic forces.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »
Indeed, why did this happen in the first place? I have seen many turners who tighten the jaws in an extreme fashion, and I have to say there is little point in that. In side grain, this may even damage the wood to the point where you can easily rip the tenon off (has happened to me!), and in end grain you may cause artificial cracks around the tenon. Once the jaws have a tight grip, there is no need to apply further titanic forces.
I had exactly that happen with one of my students who insists on tightening everything as much as he can, despite my protestations. We 'lost' a bowl when the spigot sheared clean off. I guessed the overtightening was the cause, as I've never had that happen to me before. We both learnt a lesson!
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club