Author Topic: White poplar vase  (Read 2767 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
White poplar vase
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:07:32 AM »
Well, the wood for this vase is actually black poplar, but the paint is white. Black poplar is very similar to ash, quite hard, open-grained, and smells quite foul (like pig sh*t) when turned green, although this does get a lot less when the wood dries out.
In this case I've tried to create a trompe-l'oeil, a piece that looks like it's made from porcelain, but it's not.You guys be the judge how well I succeeded. It's also one of the first occasions where I've used my new decorating elf. The vase is quite small, about 6" tall and 2" diameter at the top. Finished with matt white spray paint from the pound shop.
As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: White poplar vase
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Fuzzy,

I like the clean lines and minimal decoration as a focal point. The shape works as well, which for something with such straight sides is unusual.

Not suggesting you do, but this sort of vase shape and blank finish says to me painted decoration, This would carry just about anything from simple forms all the way through to something as complex and colourfull as a Moorcrft design.

If only I could paint!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
If only I could paint!

Join the club! I am similarly hopeless.

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:06:08 PM »
Your skill in making hollow forms is evident and I've been fortunate enough to see a few of them. This is an elegant shape, although the base isn't quite to my taste. As a lover of wood, I'm always a little perplexed when we make something from wood then try to hide all evidence that it is in fact wood. I've done it myself, btw, less successfully than you, which has tended to put me off colouring in general. I remember seeing a porcelain pot once which the potter had tried to finish with a wood effect - rubbish! Black poplar isn't the most exciting timber so I see where you're coming from in trying to zizz things up. Well executed, Fuzzy.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
I like it....clean and uncluttered and I think that the foot is quite sensible for the proportions of the vase.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »

This one ranks as one of your best Fuzzy...... looks very smart
           Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:40 PM »
I too like this. Simple, uncluttered and clean with minimal decoration. Well done. Malcolm.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »
Thanks everybody for the lovely feedback. It is encouraging that every now and then I succeed in my endeavours to produce simple, clean, yet elegant shapes. Especially on a day like today, where I had misfortune (or mistake?) after misfortune. It sort of balances the day.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:48:54 AM »
nice looking piece Fuzzy l like the simple style

Ed