Author Topic: demonstrators training day.  (Read 9102 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: demonstrators training day.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »
The other thing to remember is if you charge for giving a demo you should have your own PL insurance as you are then classed as self employed.

I agree John and so does the AWGB. When I asked Paul to add me to the list, I cannot remember if he asked for a copy of my PL Insurance or told me that it would be asked for by clubs when they booked me.

But as I have PL to enable me to do 'Living Craft' demonstrations and the like, it's not an issue.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
Anyone who sells their work, does demos or tuition should be registered as at least a sole trader and have valid insurance. Sadly this is often not the case I have fund with those who consider themselves as 'hobby crafters' not just turners.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm about to start out on the demo circuit. I will ensure I have public and product liability insurance in place beforehand, I'll also ensure that all electrical equipment is PAT tested by a suitably qualified electrician. I'd be interested to know what level of PLI is considered appropriate for demos (not training yet) and also what your views are on PAT testing requirements and frequency.

Thanks
Rick

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
Generally the insurance is a minimum of £2m and PAT testing needs to be renewed every 12 months. I pay £50 for my insurance which covers me for shows, tuition, demos etc etc etc. up to £5m

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »
Pete, what insurance company are you with?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:59:59 PM by dr4g0nfly »

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »

Hi All,

I used the below web site to join as an Artist when a member you get included in the annual £36 membership fee an Insurance that will cover demonstrations and when selling at craft fairs and the like. MUST POINTOUT THIS INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER BURNING SO NO PYROGRAPHY OR SCORCHING.

I searched every where and no one could compare price wise.

https://www.a-n.co.uk/register-artist   ( sorry don't know how to do a proper link )

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 03:39:56 PM »
Pete, what insurance company are you with?

Same as Martin. A-N

Pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
In reply to rick-dobney about PAT testing. Your equipment needs to be safe to use both for you and members of the public (people other than you). I went on a PAT testing course and bought the equipment needed to carry out the required tests. So not only is all my equipment tested I also get paid to test other people's stuff too! which comes in handy when attending craft fairs that insiston all equipment being PAT tested. This also allows me to check that any table lamps that I make are also safe . IMHO this is part of what being a craft/trade professional is all about

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
Thanks John, as I said I will ensure that all electrical equipment is PAT tested and safe for use before I do any public demos.
I wonder how many demonstrators aren't as conscientious as you and would ask whether club event organisers should insist on demonstrators having PL insurance AND evidence of PAT testing for all equipment being used.

Apologies for drifting off the original topic...maybe this is a subject for discussion on another thread.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
I also use A-N.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »
Hi
Just a couple of things.  PAT testing is not mandatory - see the HSE website for guidance.  It could be regarded as good practise but for most of us a visual check is adequate.

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:04:31 AM by Dave Atkinson »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »
Whilst PAT testing is not mandatory, if anything goes wrong and you are using electrical equipment that is not PAT tested you are likely to be in big trouble. As far as registering as a sole trader, the advice I was given when I first started selling pieces was that I needed to register as self employed whether it was as a sole trader or limited company. Again this is something that perhaps seems debatable but I know several people who have been caught at craft fairs who were not registered and were prosecuted.

Pete

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »
Thanks Martin, Pete, Bryan....I'm all signed up with A-N. Looks an excellent deal compared to signing up independently for PPL insurance.

Cheers
Rick

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 07:07:58 AM »
Hi Pete is right about the sole trader business if this is going to be a regular thing.  My error - I've removed the spurious comment on my post. 

PAT testing is worthwhile although not mandatory but it is like an MOT it only says it was OK when tested and you should always check your equipment is in good order.  Some places ask for it to be done as well.

Good luck with your new venture Rick

Cheers Dave