Author Topic: On the Wing  (Read 2373 times)

Mike Gibson

On the Wing
« on: March 05, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
"On the Wing"
I was inspired by Ron Layport’s work and thought l would like to try and make something on those lines. I picked a wonderful burl l had been keeping for a while and turned a nice hollow form. It was not until l finished did l realize the form would not be able to be made into what l had envisioned. While wondering if l could make something out of the piece l noticed a teapot body sitting on the shelf and immediately realized all l had to do was turn it upside down and l would have the shape for the carving. Made from Pear and is approx. 6.5” x 4”

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: On the Wing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
whilst i commend your skills mike i do not perceive this as wood turning. turning may have been used in the process but to me it looks like it could have been cast in ceramic. looks alot like plastic and nothing like wood.

if it's been made from a burr then i think the burr has been wasted as you can't see any burr.

the skill to create the item seen is excellent though and it must have taken a long time to complete.

please don't think i'm having a go at your work it's just that i think once you can no longer see wood then it's turned into something else.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
I think that is beautiful, Mike. The flowing lines of the form immediately give the impression to me of a swan in flight. I cannot agree with the previous comment. Just because something is made of wood does not mean that it cannot be decorated or coloured and not show it was wood. Not everything we turn has to be round and brown. Malcolm.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 05:01:44 PM »
I've commented on this on the forum of Woodturners Unlimited, so this is pretty much a repeat of what I've said over there. I feel that some of the features of the teapot have dictated the shape of some of the features in the sculpture, which detracts from it. In particular, the fott, which was once the opening for the teapot lid, and the flat plateau on the top of the bird, which once was the base of the teapot. I'm afraid that each time I look at this, I just see an inverted tea-pot pushing its way past the beauty of the bird.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:01:41 PM »
Mike,

I know of and have seen images of Ron Layport’s work, so I can see the inspiration that it's given you.

I have two problems with this piece though, it's too stylised to be realistic and too simplistic to be impressionistic.

To explain better, I think it's based on a Heron (curl of the wings, shape of the beak) but as you had a premade form (teapot body) to start with, all you could do was carve out and create the form of the bird within the shape you already had, so could not really work.

However with your skill in creating hollow-forms, I think if you worked from as blank, creating the correct shaped vessel to begin with, you could create a great carved form.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
I'd have to second dr4g0nfly here. The idea is brilliant, and the execution within the limits of the given existing shape excellent, but I would consider this a prototype for things to come. We know what you are capable of (I do well remember your teapot from the AWGB seminar), so I'd like to say "now go and start from a blank piece of wood". I am pretty sure we will be amazed.

Mike Gibson

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:32:46 PM »
Thank you all for your comments very much appreciated. I can see many ways l can go forward with this and next time l would turn from scratch rather than grab a piece off the shelf, that way l can design it any way l chose.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
Well Mike I keep coming back to look at your piece here and I can see what the others are saying but I love it as it is.

That's art for you, you only need one :)

All the best

Ed