Author Topic: No such thing as a left handed turner  (Read 10928 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: No such thing as a left handed turner
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
Well done George, another glowing testimonial to your ability to teach and help improve peoples turning skills.

It also reinforces what we all know, you need guidance to learn to turn properly, it is not a skill that can be self taught.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
Another issue at play here is of course the very real issue of George's legal responsibility to his student.  If he allowed them to turn in a potentially dangerous manner and an accident occurred he could very easily be found liable.  As such he must ensure that safe practice is followed in his workshop, and in this context George's judgement at the time is the only one that matters.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
Well done George, it is difficult for any of us to change from the way we have been doing a particular task for some time especially if we get reasonable results from it, often it is very challenging to be told what we are doing is wrong and to try another path. Keeping an open mind and willingness to change can help us all.

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »
Hi George
Just to add my 2 penne'th worth, I have taught lots of left handed turners to turn bowls and have always given them the option of learning to turn right handed to suit the lathe or remain left handed and stand on the other side and turn in reverse. As all lathes are designed for right handed turners lefties are in a bind. I tell all my lefties that as long as the faceplate or chuck is securely fixed to the spindle ( all mine have a grub screw on to the spindle ) and you have clear access to the on/off switch I don't see the problem. When I started turning back in the dark ages, the lathe I used was an old Graduate and bowl turning was done on the outboard end of the spindle, was therefore in reverse and suited to a left handed turner. As a right hander I had to turn left handed or have the bowl gouge angled awkwardly across my body. Lathes with swivel heads and reverse make life easier so if you are a lefty then have a look at them rather than a fixed head machine and don't be put off by Uncle George ;D   
Alan 
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:42 PM »
I turn with both hands, which ever way round suits!  ;D