Author Topic: Natural edge boxes.  (Read 2493 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Natural edge boxes.
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »
Haven't made these for a while but they sell well and it's a good way of using up those odd bits of log.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Natural edge boxes.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
Pete,

sorry these don't work for me an any way. The cup section is not a smooth enough flow from lip to base. The base (certainly on the larger one) does not sit tight to the cup, it's neither a stem or a good joint. They have torn grain showing inside the cups and the final shapes and finish on the finials is lacking.

Having said that, I love the idea of making this sort of branchwood box and can see that there is great scope for them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »
Say what you mean Brian LOL. OK. The torn grain isn't torn but does look it in the photo I agree. It is actually polished and smooth. The larger one has a little step at its base that is actually sitting on the pedestal and is a tight fit. The general shape, especially of the larger one is, I agree not the best thing I have done. I made some of these a few years ago and they went well so I will be making some more of them and try and improve the shape and other points made.

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »
I am afraid I am with Brian here. There is very little I would personally find appealing on these two boxes. It may the photographs, but to me the lids with the finials just look crude, and they don't do your skills justice.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »
Pete,

I trust I was not rude or caused offence.

We are used to the wonderful esoteric forms you turn from bit of wood many of us would not look at twice. I was trying to point out that these do not have the finesse of your normal form work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »
No offence taken Brian. I expect honesty on here not the 'oooh it's lovely' responses you get from some forums. Often an honest opinion will make us see something that we haven't noticed ourselves so is always of value.

Pete

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »
Hello Pete

The photos don't do them justice.  Just a couple of thoughts for you.  When I lose the bark on a natural edge piece (usually a goblet) I pyro the edge with vertical lines.  It adds a bit of texture and looks effective.  The edges are quite thin though when I do it.  Perhaps you could thin the edges of the boxes which might add a little to the overall look and feel?  And another idea - when I make a finial pot (with lids similar to yours) I reverse the finial in a loose jam chuck and secure with a piece of kitchen roll.  Then I slightly hollow the underside and add a little texture.  If you don't use the kitchen roll you can't get the finial out of the jam chuck! (done that!)

Cheers Dave