Author Topic: Turning bone  (Read 6814 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Turning bone
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:21 PM »
Hi all, especially John, and many thanks for all the feedback and advice. Since I was going to source the bone from the company mentioned by John, I think I'll give that a shot.

Final question: After scraping (presumably at high speed, i.e. about 2000rpm or higher for 10mm diameter), how far should I go with the sanding? Do I need any finishes on it?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
In the past when I have turned bone or ivory and now when I turn the alternative stuff I sand to a good finish to 400G (being careful not to wear away any fine detail) and then I use burnishing cream and it brings it up a treat.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »
The problem with Bone (I have both Bill Jones Books) is that it's too young these days. In the days of Bone turners it came from old animals and was much stronger, Nowadays our food animals are killed to young for their bone to be good for turning.

I've also turned Tagua Nuts, fantastic things, hard but take a great cut and finish. They used to be used to make buttons (imitation Ivory ones). The trouble is the big void inside them. I'm sure the button turned of yesteryear knew how to cut them to get the best sections from them, but I've never worked it out. So you might go through several to get cut you need to make the pins, you don't say how big they need to be.

I've never turned synthetics, so no advice to offer on them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!