Author Topic: Hegner VB36 unable to start  (Read 10250 times)

silverfox24543

Hegner VB36 unable to start
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:59:35 PM »
Green led on my VB36 continually flashing and lathe wont start. Has anyone got a cure for this.

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
Re: Hegner VB36 unable to start
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
Hello, have you tried removing the belt from the motor/spindle then switching off and on again at the mains and then seeing if the fault still occurs?

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
The VB36 ( its not made by Hegner ) is sold through The Toolpost in Didcot near Oxford. Peter will be able to help if you phone him.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

silverfox24543

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »
Hello, have you tried removing the belt from the motor/spindle then switching off and on again at the mains and then seeing if the fault still occurs?
Hi George, Thanks for your reply,just tried what you suggested but without success but worth a try. Dave

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
Try the owners group on Facebook ==> https://www.facebook.com/groups/vb36owners/  Very good chance of an answer on there.

Graham - They used to be made by Hegner before Steinart bought the rights from them.

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
sorry to hear that, I hope you get it sorted soon.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Graham - They used to be made by Hegner before Steinart bought the rights from them.
Ahh. Learn something everyday, sorry about that.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
George, please keep us posted on how you get on, there is a lot of good stuff on the wonderweb regarding the inverter, the facebook group are a great source of info. Best of luck.

If all else fails try the Basil approach........
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

YewTube

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »
I once helped someone change the inverter on a VB36. It is located in the base unit. Have a look at the display on the inverter and see whether it is displaying an error code. If you then download a copy of the manual you will find the codes listed.

This will determine whether the inverter is at fault or whether you need to look elsewhere.

Bill

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
if you haven't done so already, join the VB36 users group on Yahoo and post your query. Greg Jensen or one of the others will give you an answer fairly quickly.
David
At The Cutting Edge

silverfox24543

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »
I once helped someone change the inverter on a VB36. It is located in the base unit. Have a look at the display on the inverter and see whether it is displaying an error code. If you then download a copy of the manual you will find the codes listed.

This will determine whether the inverter is at fault or whether you need to look elsewhere.

Bill
Thanks bill, no display on my inverter, Roland Steinert has given me a list of stuff to check, I`ll keep the forum posted if I find a cure. Thanks, Dave

Offline wellturnedout

• iron
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
Hi silvefox, My VB packed up earlier this year( mine was blowing fuses ) and the inverter was to blame. My lathe was 18 years old and was on a 2hp motor. I bought a 3hp ABB inverter and a compact 3hp motor and with the help of a local electrician who was familier with ABB inverters.  Total cost was £580 . ALso have you come across RCD weakening and tripping when you switch on ?. If you would like any further help contact me.
Nigel

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »
Currently a VB for sale on Fleabay..........
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

silverfox24543

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
Hi silvefox, My VB packed up earlier this year( mine was blowing fuses ) and the inverter was to blame. My lathe was 18 years old and was on a 2hp motor. I bought a 3hp ABB inverter and a compact 3hp motor and with the help of a local electrician who was familier with ABB inverters.  Total cost was £580 . ALso have you come across RCD weakening and tripping when you switch on ?. If you would like any further help contact me.
Nigel
Hi Nigel, Thanks for the info, I`ve tried checking all micro switches, emergency stop and foot switch no problems with anything. My lathe is a similar age to yours(1998) also with a 2HP motor, the original inverter was changed by Roger Buse about two years after purchasing the lathe. Not noticed any issues up until failure to start. What I did find out during testing emergency stop was that the pulse is being generated on the black wire which is part of the twelve core cable for the controller. When I disconnected this from the emergency stop the green LED stopped flashing. I`ve passed all information to Greg Jensen/Roland Steinert. Will get back to them on Monday. For the amount of turning I`m doing these days I may sell the lathe as it is. Regards, Dave

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
Hi Dave

Is there any more news on your VB?

Ed