Author Topic: Wrapping and Packing  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Wrapping and Packing
« on: October 28, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
I only found this out the other day.  It is a tip from Michael Gibson.  He emailed us and said:

"If l may give you a tip in the packaging, bubble wrap can have reaction to certain finishes and even from hot weather and should only be used after a tissue or suitable wrapping used before the bubble wrap"

Cheers Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Wrapping and Packing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
Sound advice, Dave....we notice in our shop that when unwrapping stock which has been hanging around in the storeroom, it is often the case that bubble-wrap has stuck to it, but I do believe that this reaction takes several weeks to happen.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
Yes I found this out to my detriment some years ago also make sure the tissue paper is white not coloured as some finishes will leach out the colour and stain the piece.  :'(

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 07:32:39 PM »
Not had a problem personally but I usually pack in bubble wrap for shows and unpack when I get home so perhaps I have been lucky. useful to know though. What finishes react with it?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »
Also when using tissue make sure it is acid free otherwise it can affect the finish as well.

john

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
 I believe that Rod Page fell victim to this at the seminar this year. He had a fantastic latticed platter which was picked out for the critique session and the bubble wrap problem was pointed out. Rod had re-oiled the platter about 5-6 days prior to the seminar and the bubble wrap left marks all over it. In my opinion, had this not happened it would have been best in the instant gallery
Roger Groom

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
Ask friends and relatives for any old towels they no longer use, cheap effective and to date no problems as they are usually well washed and soft (worn out) by the time I get them, any that are really too bad can be used in the workshop.
Stuart.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads