Author Topic: Wassail Bowl  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
Wassail Bowl
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
Round and brown without a hint of piercing or decoration
Turned from a single piece of Horse Chestnut: The whole stands 250mm tall by 150mm at widest.
Finished in 3 coats Danish Oil to outside and Rustins Plastic Coating to inside of large bowl, which is watertight with no seepage.

Thanks for looking
C&C always welcome
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Tom Sherman

Re: Wassail Bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
Nicely done.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »
I was once asked to make a wassail bowl but never got around to it.I had no idea what they looked like but I would imagine this would be something like it Here in Somerset Wassailing is quite a big thing all to do with the Cider .I really like everything about this, the design contains quite a lot of elements without looking fussy and the finish is beautiful.
Very well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
  Must admit Nick ... We had  to refresh our memory on a wassail bowl... how could we forget... living so near to Cider Apple Orchards.
  Although the finial is not to our taste that does not detract from the overall well turned and finished piece.
  Kind Regards
  Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
I'd have needed no clues to know it was a Wassail Bowl, it fits the image in my mind very well.

And not being a lover of horse chestnut, well done on such a great finish for such a soft timber - I'd never of guessed what wood it was either.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
That's one very nice Wassail Bowl, like I knew what one of them was.....Not  :)

Looks very nicely turned and finished

Ed

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
Very nice piece of work , and excellent finish for Horse Chestnut  ( did you purposely choose HC and if so why ? )  and it would appear that the finial contains a lidded vessel as well ... nice touch !...

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments.
This was a competition piece for a club comp to turn a drinking vessel.
I chose horse chestnut because I had a lot and this was to be my practice piece with the final version to be in sycamore but circumstances conspired against me.
The finial on top of the lid for the small bowl changed shape many times on paper and on the lathe. I wanted to repeat the sequence of beads, coves and quirks in each element and started the form and ended the form with a bead.
I would really welcome any ideas to improve the design. I suspect, however that it will be a while before I make another!
Oh ....for the uninformed a Wassail bowl is a communal drinking vessel for hot punch or cider. The small bowl was to hold precious spices such as cloves .
For more info see Stuart King's website which has lots about it. My design is different from his
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »
Nick this is one gorgeous Wassail Bowl. I can see this going down very well, as will the cider it will hold. Of course us chaps in Wiltshire would never succomb to drinking cider 'tis all scrumpy down 'ere.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:59:20 AM »
As an antipodean I would have been lost if asked to make a Wassail bowl. The finish is great and I can see in many ways it would be an exercise  in turning , a lot basic elements here. Not really my cup of tea, but a fine vessel none the less, well done.

Offline paul

• iron
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »
i like that, it's a lovely shape