Author Topic: Moisture Meter  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Moisture Meter
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:42:08 PM »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Moisture Meter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
That is well worth buying I use mine a lot.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
I  bought mine a while ago from Toolstation

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p55818

I  have never had any problems with it

MC

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
I'd be interested to know if either of the two meters mentioned above have any information with them that shows the user the variations of different moisture content for different timbers or do you just take the reading from the display?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »
I'd be interested to know if either of the two meters mentioned above have any information with them that shows the user the variations of different moisture content for different timbers or do you just take the reading from the display?

The meter that I  bought is  shown here:

http://kamasa.co.uk/item.aspx?code=55961

But the Toolstation web page shows an image of a Draper meter althought it still states Kamasa is  manufacturer.

I  guess the only way to be sure would  be to go to your  local branch and ask to see it.

I  have always found Toolstation staff happy to do that.

MC

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »
Mine's very similar to the one from the toolstation. It's essentially the same as the Stihl, just with different colour plastic parts. It does several measurements: moisture content, ambient temperature (in Celsius and Fahrenheit) and one other that I have forgotten.
There isn't much in the way of instructions. Press the button to switch on, hold the tips onto the wood and read the display. Switches off by itself after about 1 minute. I use it all the time.

Mark: when you say "variations in different moisture content for different timbers", what precisely are you referring to?

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
Timber is like other materials in that it has different electrical resistance. this is the chart I use

http://www.ge-mcs.com/download/moisture-humidity/woodcalv2.pdf

Philip

PaulH

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
I've got the Brennensuhl meter http://www.axminster.co.uk/brennenstuhl-md-damp-detector and it doesn't come with any extra information like the Proti meter document referred to above.
Given it only measures the external surface mc, it can only be a very rough guide to the actual mc of the timber as a whole.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
So if I read this chart correctly, measuring a MC of 15% on yew (taxus baccata) is in fact actually a MC of 16.7%?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
So if I read this chart correctly, measuring a MC of 15% on yew (taxus baccata) is in fact actually a MC of 16.7%?

I'm  afraid that I  find the use of “MC” as an abbreviation to refer to Moisture Content VERY confusing.

MC

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
And using these meters only tell you the first 6 or 8mm. Cut into the timber and it could read 20% or more. I have tested a 50mm deep bowl blank and the outside reads 10% but when you turn the inside away it  reads 18%
These meters are for a guide only, and unless you have the conversion chart it could be 3% or more difference to the real figure.
Philip

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
OK, got that. Since I make my own blanks, I know how old the wood is. I also rough turn most bowls and then put them away in a drying cabinet for at least several weeks, and up to 6 months. I can probably safely say that if it says 10% on the outside (of a 1" thick rough turned bowl) it won't be more than 12-14% on the inside. At least that's what has been the case so far.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
Mine's very similar to the one from the toolstation. It's essentially the same as the Stihl, just with different colour plastic parts. It does several measurements: moisture content, ambient temperature (in Celsius and Fahrenheit) and one other that I have forgotten.
There isn't much in the way of instructions. Press the button to switch on, hold the tips onto the wood and read the display. Switches off by itself after about 1 minute. I use it all the time.

Mark: when you say "variations in different moisture content for different timbers", what precisely are you referring to?

Wolfgang

Phillip has already answered your query. I have the protimeter - bought many years ago - and it includes the tables to allow for the different species of timber.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
OK, I get the technicalities. And for segmented work and lidded pieces it certainly is very important (don't ask me how I know that). But for bowls and other items surely it has rather limited importance?

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
OK, I get the technicalities. And for segmented work and lidded pieces it certainly is very important (don't ask me how I know that). But for bowls and other items surely it has rather limited importance?

With my meter there is a quick conversion guide; you simply find the timber listed and add or subtract 2% from the meter reading. So the variation between types of timber can vary by as much as 4% which is a significant difference. Having said that I rarely use the meter nowadays and generally just go by feel and experience because of the way I store and dry the timber.