Author Topic: Stewarding  (Read 2508 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Stewarding
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
My Wife Susan and I are Stewarding at Somerset Crafts today we do this for one Sunday a month we used to do two Sundays a month but have cut down now.
I quite enjoy it we meet lots of people and it keeps me out of the workshop
What do you all do on a Sunday Mark Sanger lies in bed until about 11 and then does nothing all day he says it is a family day but I think it is his excuse for being lazy all day  ::) ::) ::) ::)
http://www.somersetcrafts.com/

Regards George
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:22:05 AM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Stewarding
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
It is a family day and as such I refuse as much as I can to work on Sunday. Of course from time to time it is necessary  but not often.  Sunday is a day when the family should sit down around the table to a hearty meal and catch up. Soon with all the shopping people do on a Sunday it will be nothing more than any other day of the week and another tradition will be gone. 

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
My late wife and I always kept Sunday's as we had been brought up to.  We had a nice lunch (or dinner once the kids were no longer at home) the children were discouraged from noise and frenetic activities, it was a quiet day.  As for shopping, unless there is a desperate food shortage (i.e. no milk) in the house, shops were, and still are avoided on Sunday.  I had occasion to go to the 'blue and white shop' one Sunday last year and it was like a zoo where someone had left the doors open to the monkey enclosure!
For me, it is now a day for odd jobs on the allotment or in the garden and sometimes when my conscience allows, I will spend time in the workshop.  The cat lets me know when it's time for a cuppa or some lunch but yes, I agree with Mark, I like the tradition.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
Well having  just had the Garage (Workshop) and the carport roof replaced. This weekend was household jobs, I've repainted all the beams that hold the carport up (it does stretch between us and the neighbours and is about 25' deep). I kept on and also repainted all the White-work at the front of the house. That was yesterday.

Today was tidying up my wood pile, sorting out the workshop, a dump run & cleaning up after myself.

But normally, Sunday is one of my main woodturning days.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
I'm manning the shop today. A good start, sold a little elm burr pot for £80, then have had to tolerate window shoppers and browsers with sewn-up pockets all day. Seriously thinking of packing up early and going home. having said that, I have a little Jet lathe in the back room and have managed to prepare several blanks for candlesticks and have made a dozen or so smaller items that the tourist like to buy (when they're spending!)

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »
If we aren't doing a show we have a lie in and then spend the day just chilling out.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities