Author Topic: Yandles  (Read 10744 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Yandles
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 10:08:18 PM »
I shall be down on Friday, Crow Valley Woodturners have a Bus so there will be a few from Wales.
The problem is that I know George and Mark but may struggle to recognise some others, may have to get an AWGB Forum badge made up for the show. Julian

an AWGB forum badge would be a good idea. hope to see you and have a chat.

Got an AWGB badge on my smock thingy.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:00:30 AM »
I have an AWGB badge sewn onto a baseball cap, I'll wear that.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
I haven't be invited to demo at Yandles againthis time :'(  ( I'm beginning to think I've upset them somehow and will have to get a petition started :D)but I will be there on Friday and I hope to be early so I can be sure of getting my turn heckling George  ;D ;D ;D ( I'll be gentle George and buy you a coffee afterwards )It will be good to catch up with everyone and I'm looking forward to meeting other forum members and having a chat.
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
Hi Alan

They said they only wanted good looking demonstrators this year..
They know if I am not there my Fan club wont go and it would be very quiet

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
Just got back from the show. Once again very good. Met loads of people there, spent some money, I even got a piece of wood this time. Good offer on bandsaw blades, buy 2 get 1 free. Lots of nice work on display along with some good demonstrators too.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »
Hi all

Great day at Yandles, always enjoy the show. Good to meet up John always enjoy your company, lots going on and people to talk to.

George turning Irish Yew Bowls

Pete

Talking to people about goblets and possibly water proofing but I couldn't get close enough to speak to him as too many people were wanting his advice.

Simon Hope

demonstrating his hollowing rig with video screen showing where the cutter is,  a great bit of kit even though I am a traditional hollower ( what ever that is)  :)

A closer picture of the monitor showing the tip, I may be converted  :)

Andy Coates caught in headlights

Good to catch up with Andy, Paul and Mike.

No one took any pictures of me as I wasn't important enough.  :)

Also met Steve Jones and his good lady, good to meet a proper turner  ;D

And many many more, names I am afraid due to my fried brain I can not list.

Hope to meet more people tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:51:40 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Excellent show as always, 4-1/2 hours to get home though. Spent too much but enjoyed meeting Pete, George, Mark, Phil Irons (Impressive Lathe), had a look for Graham but didn't see him nor did I have a chance to say hello to Paul H but hey there you go ! Bought the miniature spiraling tool from Crown for some small spindles so will see how it works next week.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »
Part from getting my coffee full of shavings from Phil Irons George and Simon a good day. Couple of bangs through the day as bits blew up or flew of lathes added to the fun. As usual people coming up who knew  me but like Mark   fried brain doesn't help in knowing names. Lease say who you are if you come up to say hi.

Pete

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 11:49:13 PM »
Enjoyed the show, great to put a few faces to names I have come to know via the forum and twitter. Great talking to Andy C, George, Phil, Mark, Simon, Graham and Pete.
Some good demonstrators and it was a pleasure to see so many people interested in woodturning. The art of woodturning is expanding and growing in many forms. And Mark, as a proper turner I have a lot of learning to do to get close to some of your work.
I was impressed with Simons hollowing set up but the other half jumped out of her skin when one of his vessels exploded.
Even spent some money on tools.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:55:21 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »
Just got back home after spending all day yesterday at the show, spent a fortune, said hello to John ( BHT ) and had a brief chat with Phil Irons, Steve Jones and his good lady and one or two other demonstrators I didn't know.  Not sure which one George was and couldn't find Crown/Mark in the crowds. Got some valuable help from Terry Scott and Chas on the Chestnut stand and, all in all,had a great day all round.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 06:58:22 PM »
....... Got some valuable help from Terry Scott and Chas on the Chestnut stand and, all in all,had a great day all round.

It was Terry SMART from Chestnut who has done a couple of Demonstration evenings at our club and I  believe that he was travelling from Suffolk to Yandles for their show.

In my experience, he is  both helpful and knowledgeable about his products.

He'll be at the Show at Cressing Temple next weekend dispensing advice (and usually selling his products at a small discount!)

MC

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »

Hi Everyone,
                     What a fantastic day I had at Yandles today it was easy to walk round as it was not to crowded and it was easier to talk to all the demonstrators. Thanks to Mark Sanger for his advice and a small personal demonstration, also there was George (GBF),Phil Irons,Andy Coats, Pete  (Bodrighywood), Simon Hope, I spent some time With Tony Davis (George) and his lovely wife Di ( plenty of banter there ) I really enjoy this show everyone is so friendly and thank you to everyone who makes this show such a success.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »
Another great show as always .I always enjoy demonstrating at this show it is always friendly and lots of banter between the turners.
Phil Irons kept covering me with shavings I never made too much fuss because he is twice as big as me.
It is a pleasure to see the familiar faces and meet new ones.
Thank you everybody that watched me demonstrate without you there would be no show.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
Hi George,
               I think we put Phil in his place when we mentioned the Ashes and the advert for cricket bats, one was given to him at the AWGB Seminar
with the message on the front " Australian Cricket Bats For Sale Hardly Used" ;D ;D

Regards John
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:33 PM »
Back home from Yandles. As always enjoyed it though probably spent more time talking than demonstrating. Thank you to Phil irons and simon Hope for sharing your work with us via the shavings LOL. Didn't get the chance to wander and see others much but enjoyed chatting to loads of people from the turning world. Thank you to george (Tony) for the snail idea, might be pinching that one in the near future if you don't mind.

pete