Author Topic: design of toolrests.  (Read 3570 times)

theblindwoodturner

design of toolrests.
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
Hi folks.

I have decided to work on my own tool rest systems for large turning works and would like a bit of feedback from anyone interested in having special design tool rest systems.

As a turner, I take on projects from delicate works all the way to big, heavy bowls and platters. I've had the chance to work with various lathes in the 11 years and the different tool rests manufactured by both old and current manufacturers.

bearing in mind my old post on looking for a tool rest for large bowl work, I came to the conclusion that I would be better off custom designing rests to suit my requirements and carrying a range of rests to cover bowl and platter works as well as hollow form rests.

I have experience in metalwork so there's no problem there.

I have two main options regarding rests in terms of format.

1: solid 1" diameter  bar for the rest with 1" stem for my lathe (support points added for larger rests)
2: 1-1/2" diameter thick wall tube for rest and 1" stem for lathe (supports added for larger rests_

What would anyone think on this idea and if so, would there be a market for this kind of product? bearing in mind the sizes of stem for each lathe.

As a part of my new side of work and being involved with a certain tool company, my mind is working on new products and accessories to give turners  a series of advantages for specific projects.

So at the mo, I'm playing with figures, designs, measurements and looking to acquire a few metalworking tools to test my designs out.

if anyone's interested or can help on the equipment side of things, etc please leave a message after the..... BEEP!

cheers guys and girls.

lew

Colin

Re: design of toolrests.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
IMHO the problem with a tool rest made from a piece of round tube or round solid you are moving the tool support point further from the wood. The larger the diameter the further away the support point moves. Also with a circular rest you have a larger cross sectional area if you want to go inside a ball so again it can prevent the rest being close to the wood.

A rest design that I like (I had one made by someone in the UK before I moved here) was a conventional flat rest with a small diameter piece of drill rod welded to the top, this overcomes the problems mentioned above but allows for easy tool movement across the work.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
Frans Brown had a rest, he'd made himself, at a demonstration he did for us a couple of months ago.

I've had one made from what I remembered, and must admit it's fantastic for deep vessels. A toolpost with a sliding rest so you can vary the depth into the hollow. It keeps the tool overhang to a minimum and the 3/4 bar rest does not flex (that I've noticed) even if it did it would be far less than any tool 'bounce'.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »
that sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of a few systems at the moment and working on the ergonomics so that I can get the best support for my tools, including the big stuff. The hollowing rest I'm thinking of will be an interesting design. just a question of grinding, profiling and getting a good friend to do some welding, etc.

Cheers dr4g0nfly

lew

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
Having mentioned it earlier I hope Frans will forgive me as I post a picture of his rest design here.

His version had a small Bristol lever to lock the cross bar where I've used a small Allen headed bolt.

Also mine is made from scrap, yes that is a 19mm bar that was once used as a drill bit!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
Sorry dragonfly, photos aren't a help lol. I like the description though.

The hollowing toolrest I'm working on is fairly similar to the phil irons hollowing rest but with some interesting differences. I'm playing around with some ideas before I go ahead and produce one.

just trying to rest after a difficult day made even more difficult by a turf layer who can't do a decent job for mum. this just gets on my nerves a bit.

spending some time getting to know my new tools of the trade at last lol.

lew

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
Ok I am new here but will chime in anyway :)

Because of my engineering background I tend to build a great deal of my Turning kit up to and including lathes.

Toolrests I tend to make them due to the cost of buying, sometimes they are over the top IMHO.

I currently have a couple made out of hardened 25mm round bar for my old Woodfast 400. The pin is 3/4" and is welded to the toolrest bar. To  do this I had to heat up a small portion of the rest just prior to welding and use arc welding rod suitable for welding dis-similar metals

Being far away or close is a matter of what your turning. I turn mainly bowls, Vases, and Hollow vessels and not all my toolrest will go inside to give max support. So the distance between the  job and my toolrest really does not come into it.

I have in the past used square bar on my big lathe 25mm sq with this one I can get inside easily and here the toolrest is kept close to the work.

I have in the past made smaller ones from angle iron 30x30x8 and 25x25x6 for a  friend doing pens.

To some extent its  horses for courses and  personal requirements or preferences.