Author Topic: Ain't Nature Wonderful!  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Ain't Nature Wonderful!
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
All I did, was to make it round and smooth; nature did the rest!

So here's the story. A gentleman walks into the shop and introduces himself as the partner of a customer whose family have bought several pieces off me. He wants me to make something special for his partner's special birthday, and I'd have about 5 to 6 weeks to do it. His budget was in the region of £300, but flexible, so I told him about a big lump of oak burr that a tree surgeon had just brought me, and his ears pricked up. Next, I asked him if he could give me a brief to work to, so he took a good look at every bowl that I had in the shop and singled out one made from an alder burr. It had two enormous voids, bark inclusions and a couple of epic splits, stitched with black leather thong. So that was it.....just do something in that style, the rest was up to me. After a day or two's thought, I sent him some sketches with a proposal to band the bowl with copper wire, concealed by a stout leather thong, the joint in the thong being concealed by a turned oak-burr lozenge, with a semi-precious stone set into it.
Bingo! He liked the idea and then told me that his partner really loved Blue John stone, so I spent an arm and a leg to buy a decent sized cabochon.
I cut the burr circular to get the biggest possible blank out of it, which measured about 520mm x 180mm, with a lot of barky crust on the underside. Its weight, when first lifted onto the lathe, was in the region of 30kg, so a good lump and full of water. Then I turned it as round as I could, leaving it thick and heavy. The moisture content was a problem because most of the water seemed to be lying on one side and it was horribly out of balance. The whole thing was turned at about 200rpm - my lathe weighs a little under 250kg, yet it bounced about merrily!
Once cut, no sanding was done. My customer wanted the bowl to have a really natural look and feel, so I'd cut it as cleanly as I could and left any tool marks there. Four weeks passed, with the bowl being weighed regularly and it lost 25kg of water in that time. I would turn it upside down to ensure that the thickness of the foot had a good chance to dry, and I even left it out on sunny days to drive moisture out of it. Finally, I sanded it by hand with 180, 240 and 320 grit to remove all the spiky fibres and the bark inclusions were blasted clean with compressed air ( a process which I'd undertaken a few times over the four weeks of drying). The finishing touches of fitting the leather and the lozenge for the stone, involved some fiddly work to accommodate the silver wire bindings which close off the ends of the leather, which tucks into a 12mm hole on either side of the lozenge. The whole thing was brush-coated with boiled linseed oil on a bright sunny day, with the excess being immediately wiped off and buffed hard with soft paper - this necessitated blowing out all the cavities with compressed air again to remove the scraps of paper.
We blew the budget on this one, but my customer is happy about that and he takes delivery tomorrow.

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Ain't Nature Wonderful!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:08 PM »
Thats awesome Les
Nobody's ever going to say you don't have a style of your own.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
Bugger I cant find anything wrong with it.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »
S'alright I s'pose. Only thing I don't actually like about it is that you made it not me.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
Thats awesome Les
Nobody's ever going to say you don't have a style of your own.
Cheers Graham....I like the idea of a style of my own!

Bugger I cant find anything wrong with it.

Regards George

I'll let you into a secret, George, I left some sanding dust in the groove at the edge of the top bead in photo 3.

S'alright I s'pose. Only thing I don't actually like about it is that you made it not me.

pete

You wouldn't know how, Pete....you've always admitted that you're not a bowl man! :) :)

Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
I missed that I must be losing my touch. ::) ::) ::)

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
True. Some bowls do appeal though.Could do with a few more holes perhaps.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
Well... ain't that an ugly thing to behold!

I always thought we were supposed to work with nature, not the other way around, is that what I've been doing wrong all these years.

I don't give it a week in the shop before it finds a new loving home.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
I don't give it a week in the shop before it finds a new loving home.

...it's pre-sold, Bryan. I will be handing it over tomorrow....just a shame that I couldn't have kept it in the window for a couple of weeks to take the eye of passers-by.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
I knew it would not last long, it's just too wonderful a piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »

That's one really nice bowl ...... every little detail blends together so well.
    Definitely a..  Les .. piece.
     Regards Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:21 PM »
Absolutely superb! Even your signature on the bottomsuits it perfectly. How do you do that in such a confined space?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:16:49 AM »
......your signature on the bottom suits it perfectly. How do you do that in such a confined space?

....much depends on the size of the foot, but I always cut a few simple lines (rings) on the base with the tip of a skew chisel. A pair of the lines defines the space for the lettering, so I decide roughly how high I want the lettering when I cut the lines. If it's a big base, especially on the backs of platters, the space between the lines will be much greater, and then I'd pyrograph the lettering, but where it's more confined (like this piece) I use an archivist pen with a fine point. These pens are ideal for this purpose, because they'll take cellulose, melamine, oil etc without blurring.

Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
Well Les

You have raised the bar on bowl turning, this piece looks absolutely stunning.

I think this piece is why we all love woodturning, there's just something about a beautiful piece of wood that someone turns well, and without doubt this is what you do.

I think that had it not been made for a commission I would for one would have been asking how much do you want for it :)

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
True. Some bowls do appeal though.Could do with a few more holes perhaps.

Pete

That would be a colander Pete.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?