Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 6593 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: windows 10
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
One more reason to use Linux: it's free, there is no incentive for the makers (usually not companies) to force upgrades on the users. Therefore the incentive is simply to provide better software.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
I am now working on an (updated version)of a device to reduce the amount of stress experienced when using a computer. It sits nicely in the hand and when swung around the head the user will appreciate the fine balance. Production models will come with a choice of handle, Ash, Hickory or some unidentified obscure timber but they will all work to the same degree of efficiency. Relaxation will be achieved by spending time finely honing the edge as required and total satisfaction will occur at the moment of impact. Not quite sure what to call it yet, previous models have had names such as Axe or Chopper but in these modern times Computer re-adjustment tool may be more appropriate. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
Ah yes, a window opening device.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »
I know the feeling:

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
Why is there always a need to upgrade? why not carry out improvements to the existing systems that people are familiar with? The programmers could then concentrate on important things like increasing security and stopping spam (or pork luncheon meat)

Win 10 is supposedly the last version of Windows and in future will be improved incrementally to avoid these upgrade problems. Of course, improvements and minor updates sometimes spectacularly mess things up so there's no way to escape!

Fuzzyturns and dragonfly both mentioned Linux, which does incremental updates according to a previously determined schedule. Works pretty well most of the time so no reason why it shouldn't also work for Win 10.
Dragonfly: for your info, I run Mint, XP, Win 7 and Win 10 (at different times) in a VMWare virtual machine on my old, very low spec Ubuntu PC, and occasionally use Sketchup in any one of the Windows virtual machines without any problems. 

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
My tech guy came to sort out a problem a couple of weeks ago and when "get ready for W10 " appeared he said you won't be needing that.

Today's problem is updating 8 appps on my iPad. Got three done so far.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
Why is there always a need to upgrade?

The XP Kernel (Core operating system) was unable to be made any more secure, a new kernel was written, that became Vista, which was almost universally hated. They kept the almost the same kernel (some tweeks) and re-wrote it to Win 7, very much like XP and loved by many, but...

They missed the boat on tablet PC and smart Phones. They (they is Microsoft of course) wanted to get into that area and fight back against Google's Android operating system. Hence Win 8 was written to operate on devices as well as Laptops & PC's, but it was written for the small touch screen systems mainly, very poor OS on larger computers with Mice and keyboards etc.

So Win 8.1 arrived to try and please the Laptop/desktop users, hmmmm!

Now Win 10, a whole new kernel again. It's Free (their ain't any such thing as a free lunch) and a whole new way of doing things. They want to trap you into the MS environment (just like Apple have done to Apple users), preferred save method to MS Azure (their cloud system), of course you can buy more cloud storage. Only let you buy programs through their App Store, Continually want to sell you more capability for the bit of Win 10 that was free, or Office 365 (nearly as much per year to rent as it was to buy Office 2013, and, and, and... it all costs more.

Worse still, whenever you search for something that doesn't directly match a system setting or installed app, Cortana taps into Bing and brings up a list of web results by default, rather than scouring your local hard drive for relevant files. Conducting a local search requires an extra click of the My Stuff button in the search results. Do you like the idea of every search result you run going to Microsoft's servers just so they can direct better advertising at you?

For anyone that's interested in how to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 or 8 - follow this link http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html#tk.nl_pwr
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:25:11 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
well,I like the new windows 10,my old PC desktop run really well with it and the edge search system is quicker than google or the old windows search thingys,so I don`t have to sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for thing to load anymore,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world