Author Topic: My seminar instant gallery pieces  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: My seminar instant gallery pieces
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
It is my deepest regret that I won't be able to attend the seminar; I would have loved to have seen these up close and to meet up with so many of you guys. Ah well....let's hope I can make it in 2 yrs time.

Les

Sad your not going Les, it is well worth it as lots to see and people to meet. Hope to see you there next time.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
OMG. I am almost tempted to hang up my tools. I'm with Pete, they're all very impressive, but the last one is simply stunning.

Can I ask: what is the material for the lid and finial? Or is it a finish?

Thank you

The lid and finial are beech wood, carved and then coloured with Automotive spray. I use the what base coat as it is thick and has filling capacity so you can sand it back with 600-800 grit to make the items look like ceramic with no grain being seen. Best to use beech, sycamore or maple for this kind of work other wise you end up using a lot of filler/primer to lose the grain.

I will be showing the texturing and colouring effect for the top one at the seminar (if I can get it all prepped, well I don't have a choice so must get back to it  :) )

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
It's all been said and I can only concur with all the previous comments. Superb work that is of a standard most of us can only dream of achieveing. Well done Mark

Thanks Steve, I watch your skew video and dream of being able to do those beads as you do, so thank you very much for your comments, means a lot.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
Ohh no! now I may have to redo my watch list!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »
These really are a selection of stunning pieces Mark ( although I do not personally  like the purple one )   It is not so much a demonstration of turning skills ,as turning seems to be a small part of the work , but the proportions and design are superb and it is  the carving / texturing and colouring is what makes these pieces so special , It must of taken a great deal of work / time to do the non-turning part, and the sort of ancient / antiquity style is rarely seen this good ( even on genuine antiques ! )  .... superb stuff !!      ... Terry

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
Ohh no! now I may have to redo my watch list!! ;D ;D ;D

Well that'll be two people watching me then  :)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »
These really are a selection of stunning pieces Mark ( although I do not personally  like the purple one )   It is not so much a demonstration of turning skills ,as turning seems to be a small part of the work , but the proportions and design are superb and it is  the carving / texturing and colouring is what makes these pieces so special , It must of taken a great deal of work / time to do the non-turning part, and the sort of ancient / antiquity style is rarely seen this good ( even on genuine antiques ! )  .... superb stuff !!      ... Terry

Thanks Terry. I hope you are well and keeping busy, daft question of a tree surgeon I know  :)

Yes the turning is is small about 1 1/2 hours worth and then the texturing and colouring which is 4-6 hours just on the main form, then the lid and finial. When I make pieces like this I have  numerous on the go so I don;t get bored of one technique. It is also good to take a bit of time out from each piece as I find new ideas pop into my head.

Thanks again.

Ralph

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »
Stunning works of art, love them all Mark.

Ralph

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
Mark,

you showed 2 of these at the club, now I'm sorry not to have seen all of them at the seminar or some of the techniques you use to create the textured effects.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
Hi Mark. I think they are all stunning, but the last one takes the first prize for me. Superb. Wish I had been at the seminar to see them in the flesh. Well done and keep them coming. Malcolm.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
Well, I have been at the seminar and saw them all in the flesh, and let me tell you: if anything, the pictures do not even do them full justice. Especially the black and white piece is glorious, it was picked by Nick and Ashley for the critique session, where they praised it highly, and it received a standing ovation from the audience. It was only beaten by a big hollow form from Ray Key, and by a thin margin.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
One of the benefits I experienced as a committee member and then as a trustee was to see close up and possibly handle some of the most beautiful and delicate pieces of woodturning doing the rounds at the time. This afternoon whilst doing the catalogueing (?) for the exhibition in Trowbridge (starting in September) I had the opportunity of handling the piece with the added  bamboo amongst others. Any words I use will be an understatement so I will not bother to try.
    After watching Mark's demo and seeing the amount of work that goes into each piece he deserves all the credit he gets.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »

Sorry to have missed the seminar we were hoping to get there on the  Saturday to see these in the flesh :).
   But it was not to be........ each one of these pieces are outstandingly crafted and unique as always.
   Kind Regards
    Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Thank you all, I really enjoyed the seminar and was taken aback by the positive critique of my work by Ashley, Nick and Ray Key and also many others that I spoke to. Tow pieces have gone on tour and the purple piece sold which was the icing on the cake as it enabled me to cover the cost of the two pyrography machines and other tools I purchased.  :)

Thank you all again and I can not wait for the next one, have started saving my pennies already.

Mike Gibson

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
Mark,

It was great to finally meet you at the Seminar, your work is even better "live" l feel yours was some of the best work there, and the standard of the instant gallery was very high.  Michael