Author Topic: Captive Hollowing Rig  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Captive Hollowing Rig
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
I have recently started using the Lyle JAMIESON captive hollowing rig. Having been deep hollowing for may years with hand held tools of various makes and types I can totally recommend members considering this system. It is extremely easy to use, with fingertip control, very flexible it what it can do and, if set up and used as instructed the results are astounding. No more fighting the torque of the lathe, no more "funnels" when cutting too deep and paper thin walls if required. Some good videos on YouTu*e if anyone considering hollowing.

There is even a section on Lyles website about constructing you own if you are that way inclined.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Captive Hollowing Rig
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
I debated getting one of those for several months but ended up getting the Hope version which I am VERY pleased with.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:35:46 AM »
The Hope system would be my preference if I decided on a hollowing rig, although I do it free hand. The Jamieson type systems seem to me that you need a far amount of room at the end of the lathe which is fine if you have a large workshop. I too would prefer the Hope elbow system due to it compact design, also it keeps money in the UK instead of sending it abroad  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:45:12 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
Having looked at a number of systems the Hope one would be my choice. Simon will be demonstrating it at Yandles show and I expect to order one.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
I did look at Simon's System however to adapt if for the Vb without flat centered bed bars was too problematic, Also I see scope for vibration when deep hollowing purely due to the length of unsupported tool hanging from the post. I was looking for a system to match the capacities of the VB and have found the captive system ticks all the boxes. As for the room required it all fits within the footprint of the lathe. The addition of the laser is a real boon and very simple to use.

Good to hear other peoples preferences and needs, if we were all the same turning would be a very boring craft.

Stuart

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »
The hope system MAY suffer from vibration in the situation you suggest but I rather doubt it ( not tried really deep hollowing yet ) The one thing that struck me about the construction was its remarkable solidarity and weight.
Regards
Graham

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
I am not doubting the quality of the workmanship or materials, it looks a great piece of engineering, it is the simple physics that a certain diameter of bar when extended far over its point of rest will flex hence vibration caused. I am sure if used within the limits of the system it is a most excellent tool producing good results, I just wanted something that can give me over 18" inches of depth, with fingertip control and the ability to measure the wall and bottom thickness without calipers and a torch, if calipers would even reach that depth. I can do anything from a small Christmas ornament to a huge gnarly urn, and not break a sweat or have back and arm ache.

as I said its horses for courses and the Lyle JAMIESON system ticked all the boxes for me personally.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
Yep, not trying to belittle your choice.  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
I look forward to seeing some of these vessels to over 18".
I have seen Nick Agar and Phill Irons doing it but they were using handles about six feet long.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
I am not doubting the quality of the workmanship or materials, it looks a great piece of engineering, it is the simple physics that a certain diameter of bar when extended far over its point of rest will flex hence vibration caused. I am sure if used within the limits of the system it is a most excellent tool producing good results, I just wanted something that can give me over 18" inches of depth, with fingertip control and the ability to measure the wall and bottom thickness without calipers and a torch, if calipers would even reach that depth. I can do anything from a small Christmas ornament to a huge gnarly urn, and not break a sweat or have back and arm ache.

as I said its horses for courses and the Lyle JAMIESON system ticked all the boxes for me personally.

Do you have shares  :) :) :) sounds a bit like a promo to me.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
I do not have captive system but I use the Trent Bosch system, a variation on the Hope concept i believe. I'm not totally satisfied with the results. It reduces the stress to the shoulder but to finish the inside of a hollowed piece I go free hand. Much more fine control.
I have a Sinners steady rest and if I will buy a captive hollowing tool, which I might if I can get the new addition to my shop, it will be the Sinners Hollowing tool. Simple and better concept in my mind.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 07:04:28 AM »

[/quote]

Do you have shares  :) :) :) sounds a bit like a promo to me.

[/quote]

No not at all, just an opinion from an enthusiastic user is all.

Offline Bill Mooney

• iron
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »
I have the Hope system & have just hollowed a vessel to a depth of 9.5" with no trouble at all. The timber was ash. I would easily recommend the system to others.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 08:33:23 PM »
What cutter were you using Bill ?
Regards
Graham

Offline Bill Mooney

• iron
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »
6mm round carbide tip Graham.