Author Topic: Yes there are holes in some  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Yes there are holes in some
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
I love the Ikebana piece and have to admit that the comments surprised me, I had to go back for a second look  before noticing the glass test tube.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so I am on dodgy ground here but I am assuming the Ikebana style was from some time ago, maybe the 17c to 19c ? Had glass reached the east by that time ?

I feel that dried flowers without any container may be better.

Glass was made in China from the late Zhou Dynasty (1046 BC to 221 BC) so bit earlier than 17c, Ikebana being Japanese I am sure it made it across there soon after as the trade route between China and Japan was long established after all they invented most things while we were still clubbing each other over the heads in caves.  :) :)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
China, yes, but Japan ? The paper windows are said to be because they never discovered glass until we took it over.

Time to check it out   :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
Yeah, just been on google checking..... I'm talking rubbish  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »
Yeah, just been on google checking..... I'm talking rubbish  :)

Not talking rubbish at all, so much to learn which makes it interesting. Funny thing is ( apologies Pete for going off track) when I was at school I hated history, now I read about it all the time, if only I knew then what I know now I might have ended up with a proper job. :) :) Google is a great resource.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
The ikebana pieces are made to use with real flowers etc and I just put dried and artificial ones in for display. Be cheaper to use real ones as quality dried or artificial ones are darned expensive LOL. First japanese glass was about 3rd century BC I think. I know that people think of ceramics in Japan but a look at their culture shows that they have used all sorts of materials over the centuries. The paper doors or shoji were on the inside between room spaces not on the outside thoug they were sometimes put behind wooden or glass doors there. Possibly due to the prevalence of earthquakes.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
Can I ask the technique for the silver, was it a case of a simple heat and pour?

I love this forum as always gives me inspiration. ;)
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
Can I ask the technique for the silver, was it a case of a simple heat and pour?

I love this forum as always gives me inspiration. ;)
This was simply pouring molten ewter onto the bas and letting it flowfreely. I need now to get a flow that comes from the amphora onto it so that it looks as though it has poured out of the vessel. Need to make a dummy for that as it will scorch the sycamore too much.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Great to see the variety and use of the different components, admire them all. I particularly like the effect of motion that you have achieved with the pewter, congratulations, more please.